• Register Today It's free!

custom sub enclosure

WSUDrummer

Reaction score
City, State
Oak Park, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I would like to install a sub in my explorer, however I want to keep as much cargo area as possible. I see they have the custom fit enclosures like MTX thunderform and Q Logic, however they only fit up to 10" subs so im wondering if there is anyone who makes one that will take a 12" or would a 12" even fit back there? I already have the 12 and dont want to buy a 10 just to use the box so if anybody has some ideas about this I would appreciate it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site :) I was under he impression all of the cargo pocket boxes were either 8's or 10's, but certainly might me mistaken. You may want to do a search for "stealth box" There are a few members who have made wooden boxes to fit a 12. They will stick out further due to the magnet clearance. What kind of 12 do you have? To work correctly the sub has to be designed for a small airspace since the cargo boxes are so small. I'd check the sub's specs you have before building/buying anything, as it might not be suitable for the box.

Some members have built custom enclosures that could theoretically fit a 12", but I don't see the need for that kind of size in an X. I currently run a 10" JBL sub with a 400W 2-ch amp (a crappy no-namer) and the bass is almost too much! In the next few months I'll be building a stealth enclosure for the components I have, and you can count on seeing measurements and methodologies as I do. Best of luck on your quest,
~Ken

I can't imagine a 10' having too much bass, let alone a JBL with an offbrand amp. I've got a single Kappa Perfect 12' and it's hardly enough. Soon as I can get my hands on a bigger amp I am going to add a second.

could you fit a 10'' kicker?? my buddy's got a couple in his silverado and they slam for only a 10 inch sub

Depends on the Kicker. Comp's might, CVR's probably will with a box thats built out. One Kicker sub you should check out is the L7 8". HOLY CRAP! A co-worker has one in his S-10 standard cab & it rails.

Back