• Register Today It's free!

CV JOINTS

arturogof

Reaction score
City, State
Mexico City
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Hi there, I lifted my 96 Explorer using the torsion bar system. I've heard that this can cause the CV joints to bend or fail. Can you please tell me what in the world are the CV joints? Please be as specific as you can be.

Thanks a lot.

Arturo:hammer:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CV joints or Constant Velocity joints vary a bit in design but are basically a glorified universal joint but unlike a uj they provide continous trorque through-out the turn. see Dead Link Removed. I think you can see that when you raise the vehicle you change the angle that the joint will operate at and this is what can accelerate the wear. Hope this helps.

CV joints are only on 4WD Explorers. If you have a 2WD you don't need to worry about them.

Thanks a lot guys, I was little bit concerned about this CV joint thing. I do have a 2WD so I will stay cool.
By the way, this is the greatest website I've been ever to. I have already used three tips that I read in the different forums.

Arturo :bounce:

Anyone know if a CV joint can cause noise, sort of like tire/road noise....? I turned up my bolts a little more for an off roading trip, and since then i have a noise in front and it's stops when i turn...?

When a CV joint is going they normally click on full lock. I suspect that you've overloaded the wheel bearings.

Back