• Register Today It's free!

Dash wiring

nathansmith50

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU
My PIU is in the shop. The dealer is replacing the wheel bearings in the rear so I can’t check this on my own right now. Does anyone know if the under dash wiring harness is the same for all the models? For example would the police explorer have the same dash harness as the standard explorer? I.e would the police model still have the connector for the ambient light sensor in the middle of the dash? I know a lot of times in various trim levels this is the case but not sure about police vs civilian.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do not think they are the same looking at wiring diagrams. My 14 PIU did not have any wiring for the ambient light sensor. I had to run the wiring to the BCM and pin it into the BCM. The headlight switch was plug and play along with turning it on in forscan.

I do not think they are the same looking at wiring diagrams. My 14 PIU did not have any wiring for the ambient light sensor. I had to run the wiring to the BCM and pin it into the BCM. The headlight switch was plug and play along with turning it on in forscan.

hey thanks. Mine is also a ‘14. Can you show me the diagram? Or the pin out you used for wiring the sensor?

and this may sound foolish but what is forscan?

I can sign into my local library and access Chiltons library which has all the wiring and repairs. I would check to see if your library provides it. It is a great resource.

For the autolamps on my 14 PIU.....
Run blue wire from sun load sensor to BCM #30 in connector C2280B (nothing there. You will need a pin to put in the connector.)
Run black/grey wire from sun load sensor to ground (other 2 wires on sensor not used)
I can't remember the exact setting I changed in Forscan. Need to hunt around on the forum for it.

http://freepdfhosting.com/11538746d4.pdf

@BrettS. what kind of pins did you use for the BCM or where Did you get them. I have an extra seat harness that I’ve been pulling apart for my 10-way power seat swap.

So I have some extra wires I pulled out of that that are already pinned. Just wondering if I can essentially just plug them in if they are compatible and then splice to extend them to other things like the sunlight sensor. If they aren’t compatible I’d just like to know what to buy. Thanks.

I had some GM female pins leftover from when I used them on my Pontiac Grand Prix ECM. They were not an exact fit but close enough to seat in the connector. You could try the seat pins to see if they fit. Otherwise run over to the dealer and buy a pack of pins. If the dealer can't help then run out to a junk yard and grab a couple extra connectors and use the pins out of it. If you don't have a junk yard I would take several pics of the connector and email eficonnection.com to get the right pins.

Thanks. Ill have to open up the dash to get to the BCM and see if what I have fits. Junk yard was my backup plan. Figured I could get a the plug and and a few inches of wire from the BCM on a wreck.

How exactly did you this please.

I pulled the sensor and wiring out of an Explorer in the junkyard. One wire goes to ground and the other wire goes to the BCM. You need to pull up a wiring diagram for your year to verify. If you search around on here there are some posts about how to do it.

Back