DC12V outlet always on?

shawnee

Reaction score
City, State
Jamaica, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hey everyone,

I have a 2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer. I just installed my Rove dashcam using the DC12V outlet in the center console; however, upon turning the car off, I noticed the outlet was still sending power to the camera. It seems as though the outlet is always hot, even with the car turned off.

I installed the same dashcam in my 2016 Mazda CX-9, and the camera would turn off immediately after turning the car off.

Do you guys have any suggestion on where I can connect my dash cam so it turns on and off with the ignition of the vehicle?

Thank you!
- Shawnee

BTW: the dashcam is connected via a USB cable that’s attached to a USB adapter that’s connected to the cigarette lighter (I hope that made sense).

You need to find a switched 12v source. One way is to test 12v circuits you can use that show no voltage at the fuse it uses with the ignition turned off. I have to unplug my wireless charging phone holder because it will eventually drain the battery since I can go for a week, or more, without driving it.

Use any of the center console ( radio head main connector contains at least one of the " switch-on" 12v sources) ACC wires .be aware of not touching the white/blue spliced CAN wires or any of the 5v wires as well.

Back