Defroster Vent Fan Speed Drops, When Heat Is Set On High | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Defroster Vent Fan Speed Drops, When Heat Is Set On High

Exproblems

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orchard Park, N.Y.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Explorer XLT 4.0L
Recently I removed the broken Air Recirculation Door from the air box. Once this was done, I tested the fan speed through all the dashboard vents and settings for AC or Heat. The Fan was set to it's highest setting #4 the whole time. The fan speed through the vents is great now, compared to what it was with the broken air recirc door blocking the air flow. One thing I noticed is, the fan air speed through the windshield "Defroster" vents dropped down to a slower speed when I had the heat setting on it's highest setting. I found this odd. Once I turned the heat control knob back one notch or more on the knob dial to a slightly cooler setting, the fan air speed through the defroster vents picked up speed again to where it should be for setting #4. Didn't notice this with any other vents.

Does anyone know why the fan speed while set to "Defroster" or "windshield vents", drops down to a slower speed, just because the heat control knob is set to it's highest heat setting? I have no clue myself.

This didn't occur before I removed the air recirculation door, the fan speed dropping, but then again, I wasn't getting proper air flow through the defroster vents with the air recirc door blocking the air flow to the dash vents. Thanks to any and all who reply!

Back