Diablo Vs Super Chip... C'mon the truth! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Diablo Vs Super Chip... C'mon the truth!

For those that don't know of the infamous Jerry, he is a former Trasmission Engineer for FORD (10+ years).

In that one sentence you said a mouthful. Ford transmissions suck ass. So if he makes these chips as good as he made the transmissions then this chip is going to be a piece of ****.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there are only a couple people that really know what they are doing when i comes to programing Ford computers and Jerry , mike wesley are the two i trust the most. they both had a hand in designin or designed the programing for the ford. but for most people here a standered chip will do the trick.

Originally posted by tbomb

(they all advance the timing, remove the rev limiter, etc.

well with the hypertech crap i have i still have the speed limited, rev limiter and the stupid forced shift in overdrive at 95mph:fire: i really hate this product and i hope no one else buys it...is someone SURE that a superchip or diable chip will remove the rev limiter on a 97 5.0 X.. i remember a while back that troll said that he changed over to the mustang(pre94) EEC control because he coundn't find a chip that could override the RPM lmter on the 5.0 explorers..anyone know about this ?

When I am going along in OD at about 55 MPH and I step on the gas, it takes a few seconds before it down shifts. Then engine bogs down and then finally it kicks out of OD. Will getting a chip get rid of that problem? What do you mean when you say it changes the shift points? What changes? (Sorry if that seems like a stupid question) :)

My Superchip eliminated the hesitation before downshifting on my '97 SOHC, it should on your '98. It also changes the shift points by raising the RPM where shifting occurs at wide open throttle (WOT). It bumped my WOT shifts up to about 6500 RPM from the stock 6000 RPM. The shifts are also a little firmer than stock. You can feel the shifts. Without my Superchip, you could hardly feel the shifts. When the transmission shifts smoothly (slowly) it increases wear and heat and hurts performance slightly in exchange for comfort.

you luz the problems we had where a long time ago now if you need a crazy custome chip made to make it shift at 6grand with a 347 stroker motor it would not be a problem. in retro spect there are a lot of things we might have done difrently.

blkmk8: thanks for the info.. that helped me out a great deal !!! can you guys get the diablo chip w/ a custom calibration ??? if so i need one ASAP... F@$K HYPERTECH!!!!

i can get you a custom kit from diablo that is not a problem they are just 100 dollars more. i just need to know your code and the specs of what you have and what you want done to your truck. they can not allways do every thing as some things are a little harder to mess with but for the most part it will not be a problem and they do not allways get it perfect the first time so some times you will need to shipped it back to me for more programing but it all depends on the situtaion.

I got a used Hypertech chip and it works great. And I only have to run 89 gas (it runs better on 92 or 93) but fine w/ 89. Much better than stock, higher shift points at WOT and more power. With bolt on mods any of the chips are probably about the same.

Originally posted by Robert
My Superchip eliminated the hesitation before downshifting on my '97 SOHC, it should on your '98. It also changes the shift points by raising the RPM where shifting occurs at wide open throttle (WOT). It bumped my WOT shifts up to about 6500 RPM from the stock 6000 RPM. The shifts are also a little firmer than stock. You can feel the shifts. Without my Superchip, you could hardly feel the shifts. When the transmission shifts smoothly (slowly) it increases wear and heat and hurts performance slightly in exchange for comfort.

Hmm. I just put in my superchip and I could never get my rev up to 6000 it shifts around 4500 to 5000. How do u guys get to 6000? I feel the firmer shifst though.

Back