• Register Today It's free!

Did I ruin my tranny?

diamondjake

Reaction score
City, State
n. ridgeville, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Explorer
I have a '98 explorer, auto, 4.0. I just performed a tranny service on it yesterday(just drained pan, replaced gasket and filter). However when I was cleaning the garage up this morning, I noticed the tranny fluid I used does not say Mercon V on it. Just says DexronIII/Mercon. Do I need to go have the whole system flushed? And will that harm my tranny later by loosening up tiny pieces of metal that will now become unlodged? I have 58,000 miles on it, and i believe this was the first tranny service performed. Please help!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dexron/Mercon is just a universal version. What does your manual say to use?

You should definately have Mercon V in there, not the older type plain Mercon fluid. You have to get it flushed with Merc V.

You probably won't do any harm if you don't drive many miles, but should get it replaced with Mercon V asap.

thank you everyone for your input. i appreciate it. i figure i put MAYBE 200 miles on it since i put in the wrong fluid. i hope this is not too many miles!

Back