Died, wont start- gas starvation/bad gas??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Died, wont start- gas starvation/bad gas???

blue_goose

Reaction score
City, State
WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 4x4 4.0 200K
Well, I was pulling onto the street and i noticed that the X sounded different, kinda like it was bogging down. So I listened and the it started chugging like it would if it were to run out of gas. then it died completley after I stopped and tried to start again. I couldnt get it to drive because it would idle very rough and die as soon as i got on the gas. I added a little over a gallon of gas and it did nothing, so I put it in drive and idled off the street and even that it wasnt happy about. Now it won't start at all, it will sputter and cough and maybe start but die right away. I replaced the fuel filter, and when I did I found water (I think) in the gas. So I drained the tank to about a gallon and put in 9 gallons and it still wont start after cranking it about 6-8 times for about 5-10 seconds each time. I treated it with seafoam before draining it (which didn't help it start any better) and heet (the red one) after draining it. I think the puel pump is good because i turned the engine over with the gas line disconnected and fuel came squirting out fast. I do not have a pressure guage though. It seems to be happier when I floor it when starting but either way it won't start. any other ideas? I'm pretty sure its starving for gas. oh and when it started dying it had about a 1/8 tank left, now its a little less than half. will check maf and plugs tomrrow. 02 XLT, 4.0

maybe want to try a bottle of dry gas from any gas station....should work if you have water in the tank...for future reference never let the gas needle below 1/4 of a tank...people tend to blow out fuel pumps like that or get garbage in the fuel line from the bottom of the tank...

died, wont start- has gas, coil pack maybe?

So I pulled the plugs today and they have gas, probally too much because they are black. not sooty or anything like that, just a black color that is darker than a good plug would be. So its getting gas, any chance it could be the timing belt? I fired it up after letting it sit for 2 days: it fired right up, ran fine for about a second then died and gave up on life. So my guess is the timing belt or coiol pack. I will check to see if it is getting spark tonight and report back. Water in the gas isnt a prob anymore, any other ideas???? please help!!!!

i dont think it would be the timing chain cuz i dont think u would have been able to fire it back up after it had sat there... probably the coil pack if thats ur other idea

Back