Disappointing Gas Mileage When Towing | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Disappointing Gas Mileage When Towing

2006 V8 Limited. Get around 27MPG and 9-12 when towing a 25 ft travel trailer 4200 empty weight, so about 5,000lbs. being towed. I'm happy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^ Wow, 27MPG with a 5000 poound V8 Limited, that is amazing...

I've never seen my 2007 EB V8 get better than 22MPG.

^^ Wow, 27MPG with a 5000 poound V8 Limited, that is amazing...

I've never seen my 2007 EB V8 get better than 22MPG.

Maybe he measured it by driving down a hill with it in neutral. :D

I haven't seen mine get better than 22 either. If I'm really easy on it on the highway I can get over 21 mpg, but that doesn't happen too often.

I haven't seen mine get better than 22 either. If I'm really easy on it on the highway I can get over 21 mpg, but that doesn't happen too often.

No kidding, I usually get closer to 20 cruising at 70-80mph. :)

27MPG due to local speed limit of 55MPH not down hill unless it is 50 miles downhill each way to and from the nearest large centre.. In the US on vacation on I-5, I-10 etc. it was 21-22 at the 70-75MPH speed this Fall and 9-13 towing a 25 foot travel trailer.:)

Not comparable to US mpg, imperial gallons.

I see no mention at all of conversion, I have been to BC.

Wouldn't a Canadian Explorer measure in L/100KM or something like that? Then he would have to convert it over maybe? I don't know...

Wouldn't a Canadian Explorer measure in L/100KM or something like that? Then he would have to convert it over maybe? I don't know...

I am assuming Miles per Imperial Gallon is how it's measured (and how gasoline is sold there) manually by OP.

I am assuming Miles per Imperial Gallon is how it's measured (and how gasoline is sold there) manually by OP.

Oh ok. It's sold in liters in Ontario.

Oh ok. It's sold in liters in Ontario.

Good question, since he might be calculating mpg to imperial gallons from liters.

LOL! I've gotten 99 mpg on our v6 4wd with it in neutral and going down a hill, "according to the computer"! (when I reset the mpg!)

If you leave it in gear while going down a hill, you'll actually get really good mileage. When you don't have your foot on the throttle, you're not asking the injectors to inject fuel into the engine- therefore even though the engine might be spinning at 3,000 rpms, you're not using a drop of fuel. At this point, the wheels are mechanically connected to the engine causing the engine to rotate.

Take it out of gear and put it in neutral, the engine then has to turn the injectors on to keep the engine running.

Just to update an old thread yes gas is sold in litres here and it is litres per 100km but fORD has the computer do miles per gallon also and the computer does US gallons not Imperial. That is what was used. Now get about 25.

US =3.78 litres and Ford uses that
CDN = 4.54 litres and Ford doesn't know about that any more. :)

Enjoyed the US gas prices last Fall. and even this Spring in WA.

Just to update an old thread yes gas is sold in litres here and it is litres per 100km but fORD has the computer do miles per gallon also and the computer does US gallons not Imperial. That is what was used. Now get about 25.

US =3.78 litres and Ford uses that
CDN = 4.54 litres and Ford doesn't know about that any more. :)

Enjoyed the US gas prices last Fall. and even this Spring in WA.

Only took you almost 4 years to respond...haha. :D

The gas prices are definitely nice here compared to Canada. We go to Ontario twice a year (grandparents and aunt and uncle live there) and the gas price there hurts a bit. :D

my girlfriends brother just picked up the new aluminum f-150 3.5 ecoboost and tows a 7500lb camper and was totally *****ing about his 3.55 gears and his 9mpg while towing he said it would be better if he had the 3.73's and I corrected him and said it would be worse and he said I was retarded.... some people do not understand gears and mechanical advantage... the ecoboost has a hard time getting 20mpg highway going downhill with the wind... its a trade off power vs fuel economy but towing almost throws everything out the window

Back