Disc brake pads

sirhk100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
Hey guys, I used to be active on here back in my explorer ownership days but life took me in other directions and I had to part with it. It's actually one of only 2 vehicles I do regret selling out of way too many owned!

Anyways I'm posting cause I picked up a ford 9" axle for a offroad project truck. It's got all currie internals and axles but it's a junkyard housing that's been trussed and I'm 99% sure it's running explorer disc brakes. The previous owner built it up but then never got around to actually installing it and that's where I became owner of it.

Installed it and went to bleed the brakes and couldn't for the life of me to get them to work. Always 3-4 pumps to build pressure. Then after trouble shooting it I realized the bleeders were on the bottom of the calipers instead of the top. Okay, no biggie, the dude slapped them on the wrong side. I flopped them side to side and that's when I noticed the pads... The pads have the "forked" end that would actually ride on the metal guide bar creating a channel of sort and then the other just has an open flat so the caliper can be rotated into place. Well I paused and thought about it and figured what would it matter if they're upside down. There's a guide rod for them to ride on top and bottom. So I installed them with the "fork" or channel part of the pad facing upwards out of lazyness thinking it couldn't hurt. Bled the brakes and sweet, got pressure!!! Game on!!!

Now the rear suspension on this truck is completely new and is swinging 24" of travel... Let's just say it's not the same thing it used to be and it's all new to me. So along with that comes noises... I'm trying to track down the last of my annoying noises that I know aren't normal and I've got this rattle that I've like almost convinced myself is possibly the pads shaking around or something.

Is that possible??? Would putting the pads on upside down possibly cause a noise? I've heard pads that don't run the backing plates or some anti squeek goop and this isn't that type of noise. It's a true rattle!!! It's LOUD inside and I've been told it's loud outside in passing too. It's the same from 70mph down to about 5 mph where it goes away. It happens on the gas and off the gas and in neutral. ONLY time it doesn't happen is if I'm on the brakes... When I say on the brakes I'm talking like just the lightest pressure to where the brake lights probably aren't even on yet and it stops instantly. Makes me think it's brake related but what the heck could rattle other then the pads????

I know it's not an explorer like I said but is it possible? Do they really have to be mounted with the channel part of the pad downward?

Thanks,
Khris

Back