• Register Today It's free!

Do I have limited slip?

Explorer_2196

Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger FX4 Lvl II
How can I tell if I have limited slip in my rear axle? I do know that open diffs do peg-legged burnouts. My X leaves two streaks when I stomp it in dirt. Does that mean anything? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably the easyest way is to jack up the rear and put it in first. Then put you hand on a tire (I reccomend wearing a glove). If it stops you have an open diff. If it slips a little, you have a limited slip.

Or you could look at the axle code and then look it up on here or in the owners manual.

look at the front drivers side door and at the bottom of a white label there will be an axle code if it days D4 which is a 3.73LSD or a D2 which is a 4.10LSD if not then i dont believe u have one unless it was put on after the factory

YES, I have a 3.73LSD. Swweet, thanks.

for axle mine says 41.. anyone know what that means?

3.27 open diff (non-LS).

peace

Mike

Copy/paste

For axle mine says 42.. anyone know what that means?

42 = open 4.10

open diff....

So, if I'm wheeling out there and one of my rear tires come up the floor, what would happen?? it will lock or I will get stuck...??

Yes you will lose traction completely...assuming you're not in 4 wheel drive.

Most or all of your power to that axle will go to the tire in the air. Sorry! 4.10 is a good ratio though.

Back