Do I have Satellite Radio and NAV? How can I know for sure? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I have Satellite Radio and NAV? How can I know for sure?

La Bestia

Reaction score
City, State
Yucatan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi

First of all, I have a VIN number for sale outside the US, my ford explorer was sold originally in CanCun Mexico. Having said this, I know that all places where I put mi VIN number indicates me "without radio reception" and "less navigation" and all that BS, however when I go into the bezel diagnostics mode and from the "system info" I can read the Sirius ESN number. Originally my car came with the Sirius Travelink menu (MFT 2.8 or something), now I upgraded to 3.5.1 and is not showing me the menus from Sirius Travelink and all that, but still giving information about the satellite radio and all that. So to me that indicates me that ii is in there. So I bought a cable from a texas dealership and have it now in my hand here in Mexico, my car from the look up I made is suppose to come with a cable that connects the GPS antenna but without the option to connect the Satellite radio with the aerial antenna. So the new cable is now capable to plug both to the aerial antenna and thats my next step.
I am gonna try to see if I do have the radio and by changing that cable to the type with Satellite Radio I can make MFT detect Sirius. If the radio receiver is indeed inside that would be a hint that even when sites likes fordetis mention that is "less this and less that"it might be actually there. So what is the hardware for the navigation system? How does the hardware looks like? Where is supposed to be connected to?
Can you guys help me? and wish me luck because if the radio is not there I am going to be very dissapointed, but then again, WTH do i see the satellite radio as "active" and the ESN number of the radio reciever???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sirius only receives signals in the continental US and Canada. If you live outside there, it will not work. As for navigation, if it wasn't originally built with the option you cannot add it after the fact.

...can you post a pic of your dash console?

Sirius working outside the US

Well i do have two more cars and seberal friends using Sirius here in Mexico. While i was working in Trinidad and Tobago i was able to catch the satellite signal for a couple of hours only

So you can forget about the service not available just because is advertised that way.

I just dont want to install an external tuner if my explorer comes with the tuner and is not connected. otherwise, why do I have an ESN number and under status active? Even Sirius has told me that the radio is active.

now, if i follow all the data provided by Ford and related web sites, the car is supposed not to have a satellite radio...

do you see what I'm saying?

Sirius only receives signals in the continental US and Canada. If you live outside there, it will not work. As for navigation, if it wasn't originally built with the option you cannot add it after the fact.

My best guess is that even if you can get the signal, you would still require a dealer to activate the XM in the system programming.

As for navigation, Ford has not allowed that to be added to a vehicle after purchase.

Thanks for your answer, and by that you mean some settings change into the APIM stuff? I can try asking them I guess.

I understand that the NAV is not for aftermarket sale, even if you get the SD card it wont make a difference because "navigation is not included"' but what is the thing that is missging? a Software programming thingy? or an actual piece of hardware? I still dont understand what is the difference, I mean the car can provide you with the exact GPS coordinates wherever you are anytime, so what else do you need other than the maps? I'm not familiar with the hardware/software of the MFT navigation system, but if google maps can show me my exact position and maps in a crappy Blackberry 8100 3G, I dont understand why this expensive MFT can not do the same if already has the GPS antenna integrated?

it does not make sense to me, or I am missing something?

Thanks for all your responses guys

My best guess is that even if you can get the signal, you would still require a dealer to activate the XM in the system programming.

As for navigation, Ford has not allowed that to be added to a vehicle after purchase.

sure, is this enough, or do you want to see something in particular?

ford-explorer-cc-1-thumb-717x477-100630.jpg

3176216112u_7x424x360f_2011_ford_explorer

...can you post a pic of your dash console?

Thanks for your answer, and by that you mean some settings change into the APIM stuff? I can try asking them I guess.

I understand that the NAV is not for aftermarket sale, even if you get the SD card it wont make a difference because "navigation is not included"' but what is the thing that is missging? a Software programming thingy? or an actual piece of hardware? I still dont understand what is the difference, I mean the car can provide you with the exact GPS coordinates wherever you are anytime, so what else do you need other than the maps? I'm not familiar with the hardware/software of the MFT navigation system, but if google maps can show me my exact position and maps in a crappy Blackberry 8100 3G, I dont understand why this expensive MFT can not do the same if already has the GPS antenna integrated?

it does not make sense to me, or I am missing something?

Thanks for all your responses guys

The difference is your vehicle didn't come with the $795 navigation option. All the hardware is the same, you just don't have the navigation software that needs to be programmed at the factory. There is no way for the consumer to add it after it's been built, period. If the software was available outside of Ford, why would anybody pay $795 for the option?

If your radio displays an ESN, why not call Sirius and have them try to activate it to see if it works?

Back