Door Ajar Light Stays On!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door Ajar Light Stays On!!!

Well after checking every wiring harness on all 4 doors & lubing all lock mechanisms, my problem was the actual door ajar switch on the drivers door. $22 visit at the local pull-a-part salvage yard, and pulling a lock mechanism w/door ajar switch, problem solved.. ($22 used or $120 new).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You probably have a sticky door ajar switch, try lubricated all the door latches with wd40 and open and close the doors about 10 times after spraying them, dont for get the trunk and glass latches aswell. If this doesnt fix your light you will have hook it up to a scanner and monitor your door ajar pids and see which one is stuck open when all the doors and trunk are closed and replace that switch.
What kind of scanner is needed and where can i purchase one. This problem is killing me also..

I don't think a scanner would be able to tell you which door it is, but if you give us some info about the problem we should be able to help you out. I'm assuming you tried the WD-40 and it didn't work? Does it come on and off when you go over bumps?

we have had this same problem with all of our work rangers
some of them have been bad grounds and others have been bad switches
we decided just to unplug the switches and live without the dome lights as you can still turn them on with the dash switch not the best solution but its free
Ok I like that solution as well. How were you able.to determine which door switch that wasn't working. Did you eventually have to unplug all the door switches to find out which one was bad?

I don't think a scanner would be able to tell you which door it is, but if you give us some info about the problem we should be able to help you out. I'm assuming you tried the WD-40 and it didn't work? Does it come on and off when you go over bumps?
No it doesn't come on or off when I drive over bumps. If I could just find a way to determine which door it is without having to take apart all 4 doors I feel like I can easily trace it down.

Back