Drive shafts same length between auto & manual?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drive shafts same length between auto & manual??

chris070780

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I want to swap a drive shaft from a 91 auto into a 91 5speed. Are the driveshaft’s same length?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope. You need the correct one.

Ryan

The front shafts are all the same regardless of body style and transmission.

From what I remember, the rear shafts on 2-door models are the same for auto or manual transmissions but they're different lengths on 4-door models.

If all else fails, measure the driveshaft you're taking out and compare it to the one you want to put in.

Can anyone else confirm they are different? My parts truck is 60mile round trip and im trying to save some $4 gas ;-)

Don't the two door models have a way shorter wheelbase? Kind hard to think they wld have the same shaft.

Yes the drive shafts are same.

I was told I had to swap them when I converted an X from Auto to Manual.

I guess I didn't have to now.....

I never bothered to check the length of the 2 side by side, I just did as I was told...

Good to know!

[EDIT] Now that I think of it....I was working on 2WD Explorers....and I'm pretty sure there was a difference in the length & the number of splines on the output shafts...But now I'm not 100% sure

Ryan

2wd I could see defiantly being different. I was wondering because I have read a lot about swapping from auto to 5sp and nobody ever said anything about drive shaft. I did it the hard way, but maybe easier in the end. I took a motor from an auto and installed into a 5speed body. Quick, easy, 100% plug & play.

I was told I had to swap them when I converted an X from Auto to Manual.

I guess I didn't have to now.....

I never bothered to check the length of the 2 side by side, I just did as I was told...

Good to know!

[EDIT] Now that I think of it....I was working on 2WD Explorers....and I'm pretty sure there was a difference in the length & the number of splines on the output shafts...But now I'm not 100% sure

Ryan

You were right. There is a difference in auto and 5 spd shafts (at least on the 4x4). The 5 speed shaft from a 91-92 is about an inch longer then an auto. It also uses larger U-joints. I've had them side by side and I know for a fact that they are different.

You were right. There is a difference in auto and 5 spd shafts (at least on the 4x4). The 5 speed shaft from a 91-92 is about an inch longer then an auto. It also uses larger U-joints. I've had them side by side and I know for a fact that they are different.

So what does this all mean....Sounds like people use the auto shafts just fine /w the 5sp. Will it be Ok to use my Auto shaft until I get some time to change U-joints??

So what does this all mean....Sounds like people use the auto shafts just fine /w the 5sp. Will it be Ok to use my Auto shaft until I get some time to change U-joints??

The auto shaft will work fine. I'm just saying there is a difference.

100% correct. I took both shafts out and compared them. The auto shaft is about 20-25% smaller. Length is so close, maybe 1/2". Still seeing the size difference makes me want to take it a little easy when wheeling until I get the big dog back in there.

u can get u=joint for 10.00 a piece
and get then install on drive shaft for about 25.00
if you bring drive shaft to shop
that way youre sure it fit use you may need to change them soon
45 buck is it worth it ??

Back