Driver window moves slowly in cold weather, auto-down doesn't always work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver window moves slowly in cold weather, auto-down doesn't always work

ilvny

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
When the weather is cold, the driver window on my 1997 Ford Explorer moves slowly. If I use the Auto Down feature, the window will stop and I have to keep pressing it to get the window completely down. This happens even when I've had the heat on for a while. The other windows move down at the normal speed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can try spraying some silicon lube down the window tracks, if that doesn't help, you window motor is getting weak and will need to be replaced.

Silicone spray worked or me.

Bit of a trickier fix but saves the cost of a new motor, and worked for me, try taking off the door card, then find the four bolts holding the window runners and loosen them a little till they can be wiggled in their holes, now reconnect the door switches and open the window fully, once the window is open, lightly tighten the lower bolts on the runners then send the window fully up, now lightly tighten the upper bolts, now try the window up and down a few times to make sure it all works properly, if it does tighten the bolts fully and check the window again just to be sure, if all good put the door back together, if not loosen off the bolts and try again, a little fiddly but worth the time and effort

Bit of a trickier fix but saves the cost of a new motor, and worked for me, try taking off the door card, then find the four bolts holding the window runners and loosen them a little till they can be wiggled in their holes, now reconnect the door switches and open the window fully, once the window is open, lightly tighten the lower bolts on the runners then send the window fully up, now lightly tighten the upper bolts, now try the window up and down a few times to make sure it all works properly, if it does tighten the bolts fully and check the window again just to be sure, if all good put the door back together, if not loosen off the bolts and try again, a little fiddly but worth the time and effort

Before you try this, just try the silicon spray.
Try and get the old grease out of the window track, then spray some silicon lube on it.
I did it to my 2 front windows, work like new. Even in freezing cold weather.

Back