Dual Zone A/C randomly stops being ice cold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dual Zone A/C randomly stops being ice cold

firefly1246

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 EB
Got a 2004 Eddie Bauer with the dual zone climate control. 9 months ago I put a new compressor in it (clutch was bad) and pulled a vaccum which showed zero leaks (yeah!) and put in the proper amount of refrigerant. A/C had been working great since then. However, last few weeks the A/C will work great for a while and then decide to "turn off". So I set it to 60 degrees (to try and make it colder) and will still only get warm air for a few minutes. After those few minutes it goes back to ice cold ac. Had a 4 hour trip recently and it did it 3 times. I have tried to catch it while it goes warm, but I am always too late and the compressor is running and switches to running ice cold again. I haven't noticed any typical times it does it, it can occur while cruising on the highway or while sitting idle at a stop light. I have turned it on and off when it does it. Sometimes it fixes it and goes back to ice cold while other times i have to wait it out till it gets cold again. It will also blow out mildly cold air as well when I have it set to 60.

Anyone have anything similar? Maybe the temp sensor for the dual zone climate control is flaky. I tried doing research and haven't found anything online about bad dual zone controller/temp.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Scott

Back