• Register Today It's free!

Dumb jack question

Tavery1

Reaction score
City, State
Johnson City/Binghamton,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Hey guys, normally I don't need to use ramps and being skinny I can shimmy under truck to change fluids etc. Well my brakes are screeching alot so its time to change them at my high school for all the changes we use the "service jacks" or lifts

I don't have the luxury of them at my house, I have the 2 ton 13.3in jack and 3 ton stands which jacking at the normal engine block on the mounts won't get my wheels off the ground to put the stands in I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as the where to jack and place stands on this monster.

I've heard its okay to jack on the lower control arms since it also takes the travel out of the suspension then place the stands on the normal mount, would that keep my wheels off the ground?

Sorry for the influx of stupid threads I did a search and came up with nothing. Thanks and if this is in the wrong spot please move, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can jack it up under the front cross member, or behind the wheel on the frame. I would get a floor jack with more height travel than 13" to help get it higher.

Here is one location, on the frame behind the bumper, but this is with 12 ton jack stands.
blackholegettingnewgears.jpg

Here is another. Notice the Tab hooks on the Control Arms either side of the Torsion bars.
100_3374.jpg

I know I deffiently have to get a jack with more travel but for now the little one will have to do especially since my brake is starting to have way to much play even though the fluid is topped off. If those spots don't get the wheel is it ok to jack on a control arm and place a stand on it? Will the bottle jack that came with the truck go higher?

umm the factory bottle jack will get the job done. but it gets kinda sketchy extending it that far. IMO you would better off to invest in a good quality 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 ton service type floor jack with a higher lift capacity.

I've done brakes on my s'ploder with the stock jack. Worked just fine, placed it under the tabs on the front control arms and up it went. You only need to get the wheel off the ground. Same for the rear, just jack up the axle and your good to work on the brakes. Do one wheel at a time.

You can jack it up under the front cross member, or behind the wheel on the frame. I would get a floor jack with more height travel than 13" to help get it higher.

Here is one location, on the frame behind the bumper, but this is with 12 ton jack stands.
blackholegettingnewgears.jpg

Here is another. Notice the Tab hooks on the Control Arms either side of the Torsion bars.
100_3374.jpg

Sorry to go OT.

Nice truck gmanpaint! Where did you get the grill?

Back