ECU part number search | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ECU part number search

barbaroja

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey guys. Long web search on this subjects are confusing to say the least.

Someone stole my ECU form a 98 sport MT 4L OHV. I am trying to find the part now, but there seem to exist a lot of revisions for the same part.

I would like to know if any/all of these are important to pick a replacement part:
OHV/SOHC
Manual/Automatic
Low emissions/Federal emissions.

Since I do not have the original part, I dunno what part to get. Is there any way to be sure the part I get is the right one?

The parts usually change the last 3 characters of their part number:
F87F-12A650-x... These last 3 numbers got me crazy!

A friend of mine recommended also using a '97 part. I truly dunno.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys. Long web search on this subjects are confusing to say the least.

Someone stole my ECU form a 98 sport MT 4L OHV. I am trying to find the part now, but there seem to exist a lot of revisions for the same part.

I would like to know if any/all of these are important to pick a replacement part:
OHV/SOHC
Manual/Automatic
Low emissions/Federal emissions.

Since I do not have the original part, I dunno what part to get. Is there any way to be sure the part I get is the right one?

The parts usually change the last 3 characters of their part number:
F87F-12A650-x... These last 3 numbers got me crazy!

A friend of mine recommended also using a '97 part. I truly dunno.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Yours must fall under the list below, from site below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-ECM-EC...air-Return-All-Years-All-Models-/321686491191

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Sport Utility 4-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated
1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Sport Utility 4-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated
1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Sport Utility 4-Door 5.0L 302Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated
1998 Ford Explorer Limited Sport Utility 4-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated
1998 Ford Explorer Limited Sport Utility 4-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated
1998 Ford Explorer Limited Sport Utility 4-Door 5.0L 302Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated
1998 Ford Explorer Sport Sport Utility 2-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated
1998 Ford Explorer Sport Sport Utility 2-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated
1998 Ford Explorer Sport Sport Utility 4-Door --
1998 Ford Explorer XL Sport Utility 2-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated
1998 Ford Explorer XL Sport Utility 2-Door 4.0L 245Cu. In. V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated

I was looking for an ECU for a 2001 recently in a bone yard. There was a '98 sport 4.0 MT with a PATS key and PATS module in a u-pull it in Maryland. To avert having to get the ECU programmed at a Ford dealer for mucho bucks, I would (and have) replace all three parts, which already electronically match, and get the door lock cylinders in the deal if you're local. What is important is :1. transmission must match; 2. number of 02 sensors must match (some versions have only 3 sensors-2 upstream left and right, and one common downstream; older ones have 4 sensors- 2 upstream left and right, 2 downstream left and right). I think they made the switch in 2000 from 4 to 3, so all 98s might match.

Thanks. My local dealer said the last three digits would be BFA or BFB. However, they do not have it in stock. How likely is it to be a mess if I use a PCM from an older model lets say a 97?

The key is the connector. Again: v6 must match; tranny must match; # of o2 sensors must match, if you don't also use the '97 PATS module and key, you have to have a ford dealer or locksmith erase the '97's keys from memory and replace your keys into it. Here is the PCM connector for a 4.0 SOHC '97:
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162444

Back