Engine Braking

AzXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
1999 Explorer, V6 SOHC, AWD, Automatic.

Going down a very steep dirt grade I manually selected 1st gear in an attempt to crawl down (Engine Braking).

The truck exhibited no engine braking whatsoever. RPMs stayed at idle and the only way to slow the vehicle (control descent) was with the brake.

Yet placed manually in 1st gear it will not shift out if I am on the gas.

Are these Explorers not designed to support engine braking? Is this a case of the Torque Convertor not locking up or unlocking by design?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Forgot to mention....

100K Miles on the Explorer.

How fast were you going when you tried to hit first?

Google find:
Usually for the no engine braking in first, the valve body separator plate gasket blows out on the drivers side front under the solenoids; you have to look very carefully to see it blown out. Ford has a new bonded separator plate that usually takes care of that issue. I have also seen the low reverse servo cover gasket blow out, but this usually is accompanied by a delay going into reverse.

About 20 MPH... tried 2nd and also 1st.

Today I tried 1st from a stop and started down a hill... same thing... foot off the gas, RPM at idle and away we went!

Automatics don't crawl down hills at slow speeds, even in low range, as well as a manual. The torque converter still slips.

Correct, a manual will be very "brutal" dropping it in first. The "coast clutch" is way smaller (in surface) than the manual transmission clutch and it will slip easier, therefore providing a weaker braking.

Back