• Register Today It's free!

EX Sport: comparison of tunes

anomadtoo

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle to Germany
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I haven't seen any dyno charts from the Livernois to compare with Lund. anyone have this data and/or can provide your insight to help compare between the two.

my 2014 model is set to arrive early September; can't wait.

thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a search on this website.....the dyno results from two awesome tuners are readily available. I'm already running one of the tunes and will be purchasing the second one today to do my own comparison.

Do a search on this website.....the dyno results from two awesome tuners are readily available. I'm already running one of the tunes and will be purchasing the second one today to do my own comparison.

I had....but now I see the light

It'll be interesting to hear about your one car comparison!

Ok; my goal creating this post was to "simply" compare the Livernois and Lund (DD) tunes dyno charts; to see the numbers throughout the powerband; to help an indecisive buyer like myself see which fits for me in my driving conditions. I understand the dyno facilities can differ; and multiple dyno runs (to average out) tell or more true story. Both tunes used 93 octane; and numbers denote whp. Interpret how you wish; it's not a debate; just a presentation of the numbers:

RPMs: Livernois / Lund
2.5k HP 165 / HP 170
3k 210 / 215
3.5k 230 / 233
4k 255 / 238
4.5k 285 / 255
5k 320 / 285
5.5k 336max / 315 (322max @ ~5.9k)
6k 320 / 318

RPMs: Livernois / Lund
(378max@2.8k)/(380max@2.9K)
2k TQ 270 / TQ 260
2.5k 350 / 353
3k 365 / 380
3.5 345 / 358
4k 332 / 316
4.5k 332 / 304
5k 332 / 304

Livernois achieved a 16.7% hp (288 to 336) increase and 15.2% tq (328 to 378) increase. Lund achieved a 9.1% hp (295 to 322) increase and 28.4% tq (296 to 380) increase. Specifically note both started at different computed stock figures.

Overall conclusion: both are amazing tunes! and I still can't decide :)

My opinion is that there are too many variables and too much evolution in these tunes to do a head to head comparison like this. One tuner is in south Florida and one is in Michigan where the weather differences alone can create huge differences.

Both companies are VERY reputable and produce quality products for the cars they work on. In the end, the finished products will be very similar with most people not being able to tell the difference between them anyway.

I say rather than pick the tunes apart, decide on which COMPANY you like and go with them.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a pissing match between two reputable companies that are both trying to push our XSports to the next level.

I agree 20lbbooster; this shouldn't be a debate or pissing match. If it does, I'll remove the post.

You can't compare two cars on two different dynos on two different days, doesn't work like that. The best you could hope for would be same car to purchase both tunes and back to back run them or dyno them. That's a true comparison of the tunes. You can't even compare two different vehicles on the same night at the same track, there's driver variables etc.
Here's what you evaluate:
Customer service
Willing to work with you on your goals
Customer reviews
Driveability
You'll have groups of guys that will become fiercely loyal to a tuner and most people will follow one group or the other. Once you see SCT come out and the 3 or 4 big tuners start tuning these you'll inject another group of loyalists happening. HUGE battle on this right now on F150forum.com...
If you're lucky you'll have the cash and try them all out for yourself, if not pick one and enjoy!

I think the dyno info is good to give you a starting point but the best comparison you do get is stock to tuned on each vehicle and even then it's often not accurate since you have no clue of the date/time/variables for each and every run. It's not uncommon for it to be on different days with different fuels.

It does seem that the livernois dyno graph has a lot less smoothing applied, either way it doesn't bother me, but if you visually smooth their curve the graphs look very similar between the two.

I picked Lund Racing for my tune and have been very pleased with the communication and feedback I get from Ken and the guys over there and would recommend them to anyone. Thats not to say anything bad about Livernois as I've never used them, but they seem to have a great reputation as well.

One thing I haven't heard much about yet is tuning from Torrie over at Unleashed, a lot of the Taurus SHO guys and I think some of the Flexs are using him and I would think he'll have something for the Explorer guys here soon, probably just waiting for someone to ask!

thanks for your input all; I appreciate the feedback and in helping me decide which to get.

Do you all think I should remove the comparison tune numbers I posted above if its not accurate to compare one advertised product to the next? I certainly don't want to provide significant misinformation.

Thanks again forum members; I'm learning a lot about my new vehicle and can't wait to take delivery in September!

A better comparison would be to show the gains on each tune. For example the stock tune actual to the gained tune actual for each rpm. That would take out the different dynos, different day readings.

Back