Exhaust Laws - Need Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Laws - Need Help!

SR77

Reaction score
City, State
Central NJ
I am hoping someone on here can help me out because I think the local(New Jersey) Midas is BSing me and i want to know what I can and can not do. I have a stock 96 Explorer 5.0L and I am looking to change the stock exhaust. I think I want to put a single 3" Center Inlet/Outlet 50 series Delta Flow muffler and have a Y pipe installed after the cats to connect to the muffler. Then I want a 3" tail pipe installed after the muffler and either cut it off behind the frame which is still after the rear axle or have it exit after the rear tire. I want the tail pipe hidden and i figured either tail pipe exit should work. So heres my problem, I go to a local Midas to see what they can do for me and this is what the guys says:

1) 3" pipe in NJ is illegal
2) He can't install a Y pipe AFTER the cats because it is illegal because it is changing the exhaust system.
3) the only way i can have the tail pipe exit legally is off to the side behind the rear tire because of the tail gate that opens in back. (I know this one is BS because the stock pipe i have now exits straight out the back, You should here the other stuff this guy was telling me. How does Midas call themselves a Custom Shop?)

Can anyone that knows NJ Laws help me out. I want a set up like the one i mentioned at the begining but i still want to be able to pass an inspection. What can i, and can not do as far as the exhaust goes. Also can i have the tail pipe hide behind the frame(still after the rear axle) or legally does it have to exit somewhere out the back of the Explorer where the pipe is visable. I tried to find some laws on NJ's website, but i could find anything. I just want to know what i can do, what my options are, so I know and can go somewhere else to have the job done. Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have side exhaust before the rear tire, is legal in my state, Before the install I googled up dept of motor vehicals, Calif, all the exhaust laws were there.
Dept may be called something diff in you state, ck it out.
3 inch pipe may not be the best way to go but your call, I have a y-pipe that eliminates two cats, illegle in all 50 states, cannot see how a y after the cats is illegle.
Forget the chain shops, find a custom shop

I don't know NJ laws, but having the exhaust exit under the truck is not wise. Exhaust fumes will get sucked into the passenger cabin. That's why most states (if not all) don't allow it. Carbon monoxide is odorless, and deadly. For safety's sake, have the exhaust exit out the side or out the back.

Most states allow modifications of the exhaust after the cat. I agree with the above advice...go to a custom shop (i.e. not chain store like Midas, Mieneke, Sears, etc.)

As far as I know there aren't any laws that don't allow you to change your exhaust. There may be laws that limit the exit location or how loud the exhaust is. Exhaust systems don't last forever in those places where it snows, and rusts everything. I know here any exhaust pretty much goes as long as it exits behind the cabin. On an SUV it must exit behind the rear axle in any location. You should have no problems as long as it exits behind the rear axle, is aft of the cats, and isn't obnoxiously loud.

I recommend you go to a different shop for another opinion.

Thanks for the replys. I guess i will try another shop. There is a custom exhaust shop about an hour from me, I guess i will take a trip out there. If anyone knows where to find the NJ laws, let me know, I have searched every where. The one senario of cutting the exhaust behind the frame to hide it would still be after the rear axle and would be angled down and out, so i would think that it would prevent the fumes from coming in, but i could be wrong. thanks

Back