Exploration noobie seeking guidance! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exploration noobie seeking guidance!

Jdot Davis

Reaction score
City, State
TEXAS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 4.0L Explorer XLT
Hey, everyone!
My name is Justin and I'm relatively new when it comes to cars/ trucks. I just recently bought a 2008 XLT 2WD. I absolutely love how it looks and drives, but I want to make it my own. I recently slapped on some new wheels and tires (265/70 R16's) but I'm thirsty for more. The problem is, I don't know what I should keep chrome and what I want to black out!
Here's a list of my current plans, I was hoping that some of you may have done a few of these upgrades already and could show me what they look like...
- swap the OEM grill for a black mesh diamond pattern one with no emblem
- pop on a black bull bar with a chrome skid plate
- add on some black side rails with black or chrome steps
- black out the headlights and fog lights
- replace the exhaust from the cat back (Chrome)
- black out the fenders
Also, how difficult would it be to modify to dual exhaust? Will doing so boost performance some? I've heard talk about gear swapping but also that it's expensive. What is the best gearing configuration for fuel economy and acceleration? Is it even worth it on the 4.0L?
The paint color is vapor grey and the rims are a chrome/ grey combo. I will add pictures soon after I wash it again.
I appreciate this forum's existence. Thank you for your time.

de-badge, de-chrome and replace as many bulb with led or hid as you can

Hey, everyone!
My name is Justin and I'm relatively new when it comes to cars/ trucks. I just recently bought a 2008 XLT 2WD. I absolutely love how it looks and drives, but I want to make it my own. I recently slapped on some new wheels and tires (265/70 R16's) but I'm thirsty for more. The problem is, I don't know what I should keep chrome and what I want to black out!
Here's a list of my current plans, I was hoping that some of you may have done a few of these upgrades already and could show me what they look like...
- swap the OEM grill for a black mesh diamond pattern one with no emblem
- pop on a black bull bar with a chrome skid plate
- add on some black side rails with black or chrome steps
- black out the headlights and fog lights
- replace the exhaust from the cat back (Chrome)
- black out the fenders
Also, how difficult would it be to modify to dual exhaust? Will doing so boost performance some? I've heard talk about gear swapping but also that it's expensive. What is the best gearing configuration for fuel economy and acceleration? Is it even worth it on the 4.0L?
The paint color is vapor grey and the rims are a chrome/ grey combo. I will add pictures soon after I wash it again.
I appreciate this forum's existence. Thank you for your time.

This is my current grille set up on my 2008 Explorer XLT. I plan on installing black aluminum running boards before winter.

Ford Black Grille.jpg

Back