Explorer badge on front doors...just curious | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer badge on front doors...just curious

IIGood

Reaction score
City, State
Arnold, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer; 03 Mustang
Does anybody know what dictated which Explorers received the "Explorer" emblem on the front doors? Was it a year thing, a trim level thing, or what?

I'm just wondering. I bought an '03 XLT last month and it doesn't have the badges but my dad's '05 XLT has them (I'm pretty sure it does anyway...). And I've seen XLS models with them, and so on...it just doesn't seem like any rhyme or reason to it based on what I've noticed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think they all got the badges

I read on this website they were omitted on the '03 models only. Then started again on the '04 and have been there since.

This what happened in 2003. That was the Ford Centennial year. If you ordered the "Centennial Edition" Explorer, it was a black Limited with a centennial nameplate where the Explorer nameplate would have been on the doors. For some strange reason, non-Centennials got no side badges. My 2003 white Limited has no Explorer emblems on the sides, just like all 2003s, other than Centennials. Have a look at this article:

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/112_021220_ford/

Ah, right...the Centennial Edition vehicles. I guess I wasn't aware the carried over to the Explorers. I was definitely aware it was on the Mustangs but never noticed it on the other vehicles that article mentions.

Well, now the mystery makes sense.

Honestly, not much of a package. I knew about the lack of side badges on my 03 early on, so I added Triton V8 (which it is) emblems to the front fenders.

Attachments

• Badge.JPG
    Badge.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 204

Here is a Centennial Edition on Ford Road in Dearborn, MI. So this is the only 2003 model with an emblem on the door.

Attachments

• CentennialEmblem.jpg
    CentennialEmblem.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 183

$2.13 for Regular? In Michigan?

Not bad.

Nice catch! That was the expensive station. I filled up for $2.05/gallon for regular at BP, about a block down the road.

Back