Explorer overhead console was installed in my 2004 Ranger. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer overhead console was installed in my 2004 Ranger.

JD2357

Reaction score
City, State
Eagle, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ranger XLT
Has anyone done this, Over at therangerstation.com there is detailed instalation of installing a overhead console from an Exploer into the ranger. This looked cool so I went to the junk yard and installed one into my truck a 2004 ranger xlt, it installed good but I am sure I have a wire not connected correctly and Im sure its the Speed sensor input Wire/pin #4 that goes to the SMART JUNCTION BOX (BROWN CONNECTER) and taps into a GRAY/BLACK WIRE. the instuctions dont show a diagriam and i think I'm not taped into the correct wire. the console stays in -40F/ could justbe I have a bad Temp sensor? my ligted visors work and are a hit with the wife. Any help ? on this would be great!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok never mind. I labeled my wires and the 6 turned upside down is a 9
duh!!! wires 9 and 10 go to the temp sensor (Always Double check your work)!!!

MAN that's clever. I wish I'd known about that when I had my old Ranger.

I'll never cease to be amazed at the skills and ingenuity here on this forum.

I know I've fixed a number of issues with my '97 Explorer from photos and descriptions here.

Thx, y'all.

Mike Y
Dallas, Texas

i have a 2003 ford ranger XLT i have done this and foud out one of my dome lights did not work. so i went out and got another one from a yard. finding out both of the dome lights work but NOW my temp reads 140*F. i have swaped it back to the old one that i had before and the same thing happens. i have a new temp sensor in from auto zome(i made sure i got a brand new one due to maybe the one from the explorer was not accurate) still the same problem. i even removed the temp sensor and put it back in. no differance. anyone that can help me i would greatly be thankful.

overhead console

You need to connect a wire to the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) Pin #4 Gray and Black Stripe, there is an install for this at website therangerstation.com search for- Explorer Overhead Console Upgrade (with a side of lighted visor mirrors) it has pictures and wireing pin outs complete info for the install. is your first name Gentry if so the Gans and Watermans say Yarp!!

Make sure that you have the correct temp sensor. Some high end Explorers have a second one for the EATC climate control that has a difference impedance and it will make the console temp read out incorrectly on the high side. The correct sensor would have been plugged into the blue/white and blue/yellow wires in the donor Explorer.

Back