• Register Today It's free!

explorer running rich

LukeDog3D

Reaction score
City, State
Lafayette, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport
My explorer is running rich and is surging while idling. I changed the oxygen sensor and forgot to reset the computer. I ran the truck for about 10 minutes, then reset the computer properly. The truck still runs rich and surges while idling. I also cleaned the mass air flow sensor, which wasn't very dirty when I looked at it. I have been suggested to inspect EGR valve? and fuel pressure regulator?.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

running rich

Did you check to make sure all of your wires are properly conected ? The last time I checked my are cleaner, I left one of the wires going to the top of the air cleaner disconected and had the same symptoms you described.

Caddybill

yea i checked all the electrical connections and vac hoses, couldn't find anything that was loose. Could the sensor have been fouled while running w/out being reset?- also, i forgot to mention that i brought the truck to a shop and had it connected to a diagnostic scanner, which read that the o2 sensor was bad. This was before i changed it btw. thanks for the reply caddybill
later

Had the same problem you described...well somewhat, Look into your cooling system, something as minor as a thermostat sticking open will tell the computer your truck is not warmed up and therefore your are always running in a choke mode, as far as the surging, I found that the extra fuel contaminated my o2 sensors and spark plugs causing my surging. Aren't computer controlled vehicles fun? Anyway hope this can help you out...

Back