explorer vibration, never find | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

explorer vibration, never find

quentinoli

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 ford explorer xlt v6
Hello I have a ford explorer 2006 xlt v6. I have a vibration in all car between 50 and 65 mph, nothing under 50 and less pass 65.

It's getting worse when I turn left or right (must be in the same speed range), I feel it in the seat, floor, little in the steering.

Front bearing replace, front cv axle replace, rear bearing replace, front and rear drive shaft joint replace.
Wheel rebalanced, try winter wheels, tire are good.

I'm thinking of front differential bearing, but don't want to put any money in before be sure that I found the problem.

any idea ???

sorry for my english I'm from quebec canada

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Holy crap, you've already poured a bundle into this! Did a dealer or mechanic suggest those remedies? Did you have them perform the repairs? I guess I'd either look for another opinion, or have them make good on their first diagnosis.

How does it feel when braking? Smooth? I'm thinking a caliper may be dragging on a slightly warped rotor. Not likely, but it sounds like you've covered everything already!

BTW, kudos on your English. I'm embarrassed that I never seriously took up another language.

Holy crap, you've already poured a bundle into this! Did a dealer or mechanic suggest those remedies? Did you have them perform the repairs? I guess I'd either look for another opinion, or have them make good on their first diagnosis.

How does it feel when braking? Smooth? I'm thinking a caliper may be dragging on a slightly warped rotor. Not likely, but it sounds like you've covered everything already!

BTW, kudos on your English. I'm embarrassed that I never seriously took up another language.

not so much, have garage price for parts, the parts that I have change, must have been change. Have done all the repair myself. Next step is to bring it to the dealer, but want to have opinions here.

The braking is good, no sound at all from any parts. and like I said, under 50, the truck runs like new.

I was thinking of the front differential bearings because my cv axle have a lot of moovement up and down from the différential side.

Its either in the transfer case or the differential but since it is not always there I agree with you that it is the differential considering every thing else you have done. The fact that it is getting worse when you turn tells me that you need to drop the fluid out of it (the front differential) ASAP and make sure that there are no metal flakes in it. If there is then you may have to completely rebuild it.

Edit: See this rather long and drawn out posting at club touareg on their faulty front differentials (they use a ford 9" differential?):
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/groaning-humming-vibration-front-differential-28871.html

Its either in the transfer case or the differential but since it is not always there I agree with you that it is the differential considering every thing else you have done. The fact that it is getting worse when you turn tells me that you need to drop the fluid out of it (the front differential) ASAP and make sure that there are no metal flakes in it. If there is then you may have to completely rebuild it.

Edit: See this rather long and drawn out posting at club touareg on their faulty front differentials (they use a ford 9" differential?):
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/groaning-humming-vibration-front-differential-28871.html

ok, but I have only vibration, no humming or groaning and I have change the front differential fluid (was looking good) when I did the two seals in the same time with my cv axle.

I have a little, very little play in the output bearing in the transfercase for the rear drive shaft, but the vibration is getting worse when I turn at highway speed, so it's not the problem.

The vibration stay the same whenever I put in neutral, press or release the accelerator, only worse in right or left turn and again the most vibration is between 50-65 mph

My post was agreeing with your assessment that it is most likely the differential carrier bearings and establishing why I am in agreement with you.
En français:
Mon message était d'accord avec votre évaluation qu'il est plus probable que les paliers de support de différentiel et d'établir pourquoi je suis d'accord avec vous.

My post was agreeing with your assessment that it is most likely the differential carrier bearings and establishing why I am in agreement with you.
En français:
Mon message était d'accord avec votre évaluation qu'il est plus probable que les paliers de support de différentiel et d'établir pourquoi je suis d'accord avec vous.

ok, I have read the entire subject that you give me, I think I will change my carrier bearings

Back