• Register Today It's free!

Extra Gas

Abominous95XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Salem MA or Troy NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I was thinking about adding an extra gas tank to my X. I would like to get a small one or two gallon tank and attach it somewhere under the truck in back next to the spare tire near the bumper. I can do all the metal fabrication I need. The problem is that I have a bad feeling that there is a real good reason why this has never been done before. Will someone please tell me why this is a bad or good idea. I am still not sure if I am going to use a plastic can or make a metal one. Either way I would put a sort of skid plate underneath it. I want it for emergency gas for myself or for giving someone gas on the highway (I’m a sucker for distressed motorists)_

Only bad reason I can think of without climbing under my x is that the Pinto had a gas tank near the rear bumper and you know what happened to that car. Honestly I really don't think an extra gallon or two is worth all the work. You realize the new tank has to have it's own fuel pump and sending unit (if you want one). It will also need and equalization tube rubbing to the original gas tank. Lots of work for just a gallon or two.

Older Rangers had two tanks one where the spare tire is on our Explorers and the other up front somewhere. I have read that, that rear tank off the Ranger can fit in the spot where the spare tire is. However then you will have to figure out where to put the tire and how to hook the extra tank up. Which shouldn't be to hard, since Ford has been doing it for years.

Back