Fast Ticking from A/C Comp. Area at Idle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fast Ticking from A/C Comp. Area at Idle

jkarl

Reaction score
City, State
palm harbor, f
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998, explore
Hello,

98 Explorer Sport, OHV 4.0l V6 140,000k

I have searched and come up with nothing. When the car is at IDLE and the AC is on, I here a fast ticking noise (approx 2 ticks per sec) coming from the A/C compressor, clutch area. Im not sure if its a bearing going bad, or the clutch. Any one have any ideas or suggestion how to fix? I didnt want to tear apart my AC components because the AC works good right now.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you find out what the problem is. I have the exact same thing

Guess my first post will be to revive a long-dead thread.
I have the same issue. AC compressor or clutch (I assume) makes rapid ticking sound at idle. Stops if you turn the AC off. AC is functioning fine. Have 74k miles on it. Started making this noise at the beginning of last summer.

Steve

your clicking

well i think it maybe 3 things, either your low on freon causing the clutch to cycle fast , possibly your low pressure switch maybe malfunctioning but not likely, or your clutch may have some looseness in it , the adjusted air gap maybe fine but it just tired.... usually an impending bearing failure will cause a leak in the front shaft by the clutch and your orifice tube will clog with metal debri killing your cooling and self destructing your compressor but from what it sounds like your clutch plate infront that engages with electromagnet is sloppy.

well i think it maybe 3 things, either your low on freon causing the clutch to cycle fast , possibly your low pressure switch maybe malfunctioning but not likely, or your clutch may have some looseness in it , the adjusted air gap maybe fine but it just tired.... usually an impending bearing failure will cause a leak in the front shaft by the clutch and your orifice tube will clog with metal debri killing your cooling and self destructing your compressor but from what it sounds like your clutch plate infront that engages with electromagnet is sloppy.

Thanks for the response. I have a refrigerant pressure gauge. I'll test it and see if it's low, but there is no (noticeable) decrease in cooling so I'm going to guess not. The ticking does not sound the same as the much louder "clack" noise it makes when the clutch actually engages. I see no evidence of a leak at the front of the compressor (I assume I would be able to see at least some lubricant there if it were leaking). So maybe the clutch is just getting sloppy.
Hope so. It gets hot as Hades here in SC and I can't afford a compressor right now :(

Back