• Register Today It's free!

Few questions about my sub Box

Capman2k

Reaction score
City, State
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ranger XLT
I have a pair of 12" subs in a ported box.

I just have a couple questions:

I'm going to be building some storage boxes for the cargo area of my Explorer to fill up the back end and keep stuff organized instead of just being loose.

How much room do I need to have in front of the subs for the ports so it will work properly?

Also, if I put a piece of carpet or something over the hole that will be created between the subs and the storage box in front of it, will that affect the sound any?

And finally, What are some good ways to mount the box to the floor so they don't bounce if I go over a huge bump or roll over or something?

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think the general rule of thumb for distance from port is 1 1/2 times the port length. For example, if you have a 6" long port, you would want to keep things at least 9" away from the port. This is needed to allow the bass waves to develop.

You can put some carpet or something in between if you need to. Just make sure that the carpet will allow air to flow freely. I would suggest using something like speaker carpet or something else that won't resist the air flow.

Mish

For the said above, I would recommend some automotive tweed.

Back