FINALLY!!! An off-the-shelf intercooler upgrade is available!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FINALLY!!! An off-the-shelf intercooler upgrade is available!!!

That’s the factory grille as far as I know. I did buy this lightly used but it was on the vehicle when I bought it. I was surprised how visible the Intercooler is. Factory cooler is black so it blends in much better. I may have this anodized at some point.
I was going to mention that Mike. ;)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The factory grill is closed except for a small opening on the bottom so that is definitely aftermarket or it was modified before you got it.

Nope, that's 100% factory.

I already wrote about this some time ago...

Has anyone purchased this yet?
I just did an install on my 17' sport today. Came out amazing but I did a custom install. I don't want to post details on this thread but I'll come back and edit this post with a link to a new one. Took a ton of photos and wanted to do a write up of the install. And it was about $300 for everything also!

I just did an install on my 17' sport today. Came out amazing but I did a custom install. I don't want to post details on this thread but I'll come back and edit this post with a link to a new one. Took a ton of photos and wanted to do a write up of the install. And it was about $300 for everything also!
Sweet. Can’t wait to see it.

Here's the thread I just posted of what I did. If anyone is looking for an affordable option that (I believe) is just as good with similar end result. Hope this helps guys out or sparks other ideas.

Here's the thread I just posted of what I did. If anyone is looking for an affordable option that (I believe) is just as good with similar end result. Hope this helps guys out or sparks other ideas.
Thanks man!

Nope, that's 100% factory.

I already wrote about this some time ago...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems completely pointless. The engine is "vacuuming" air through the intake, so unless there's a completely air tight box covering the intake, the engine will always get as much air as it needs. All you've done now is allowed water and extra debris to enter the intake.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems completely pointless. The engine is "vacuuming" air through the intake, so unless there's a completely air tight box covering the intake, the engine will always get as much air as it needs. All you've done now is allowed water and extra debris to enter the intake.
There's always one in the bunch, LOL. Welcome to the forum. :)

Doesn't appear you've thought this one through all the way. We aren't talking about "quantity" of air with this mod...we are addressing the "quality" of air. And as for your point regarding water/debris...you probably haven't seen the build, so I'll excuse your ignorance. All I'm going to say is...do a little research first. ;)

I think this is really for hot air intakes and not the stock air box. When i removed the stock air box i noticed iat2 temps go up. This probably would allow more air flow at speed although probably wouldn’t lower iat2 temps by much if at all. I drilled holes in that location and sadly had no affect. new intercooler however made a huge difference.

Looks clean! I like how you can see it too once everything was put back together. How's it working out for you. I'm looking into one myself
No issues with the intercooler, I’d probably still recommend the treadstone tr8l though. The only reason I didn’t go that route myself is because it was out of stock and I had a narrow window of time I could let the car be down. The car has some surging issues in partial but heavy throttle but doesn’t impact 99% of the driving which I don’t believe is related My wife has serious anxiety when I hook up the laptop so I haven’t actually logged anything, although I may do it before the kids go back to school so I can get it over to 5star and possibly resolve the surge issue.

No issues with the intercooler, I’d probably still recommend the treadstone tr8l though. The only reason I didn’t go that route myself is because it was out of stock and I had a narrow window of time I could let the car be down. The car has some surging issues in partial but heavy throttle but doesn’t impact 99% of the driving which I don’t believe is related My wife has serious anxiety when I hook up the laptop so I haven’t actually logged anything, although I may do it before the kids go back to school so I can get it over to 5star and possibly resolve the surge issue.
I had surging issues with 5stars base tune as well. This was before an intercooler install. Using Gear Head AO tune now.

Back