Finally can start my lift... but first one quick question! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally can start my lift... but first one quick question!

FordBoy101

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
So after doing a lot of research and attempting to save up, I have finally decided that I do not have the money for warriors right now so I will use my resources and make my own :)

This is what they will be: 2-1/1" x 1/2" HSS flatbar stock, roughly 10" long. I bought 9/16" grade 8 bolts, nuts, and washers roughly 5" long. The bolt holes will be 3/4" from ends of shackle which is about 1-1/4" exact mid way roughly about 8.5" apart.
Then I will do my torsion twist and finally have my lift!

Now for my question...
For anyone who has made their own shackles or put new ones on, do you use different hardware? (Like in my case, the 9/16" grade 8 bolts, nuts, and washers) or do you use the factory bolts that came with it? Or does it really matter?

you can use the factory ones, or new hardware. as long as you use grade 8 bolts (or metric grade 10.9) and lock nuts or lock washers youll be fine

Okay cool, I have seen a lot of pictures of people who have used new hardware, the factory hardware, and everything inbetween so I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!:)

Back