First Oil Change And Octane of Choice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First Oil Change And Octane of Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangshagrug

Reaction score
City, State
ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT
Hey Forum,

Have a new 2017 XLT Explorer and the dealership states to have the oil changed at 8000km or 6 months.
I have always been of the opinion that you change the oil at around 1000km first off and then go to every 5000km. Thoughts? Should I be following the dealer's advice on this?

Also, the owner's manual states that 87 Grade Gas can be used by 91 Octane is preferred.
What do you guys use and is their a real benefit to going the more expensive route?

Thanks

Craig

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Assuredly there's a performance benefit, and a slight MPG bump is likely as well.

That said, I run 87 in mine, and it seems perfectly content/happy.

Then again, mine has the 2.3L, if you have the 3.5L NA, just put in 87 and don't worry about it.

My Theory: use 87 octane.
no need for an oil change until the "Oil change required" lights up on the dash.

Assuredly there's a performance benefit, and a slight MPG bump is likely as well.

I can also confirm this to be true on my F-250.

Run 89 octane and I can get an extra 1 to 1.5 MPG.

As for my 2013 Fusion with the Eco Boost 2.3 Liter, if you run 87 the car will not even get out of it's own shadow. Run 89 and life is completely different.

Here at 7000' I run 85 octane with zero problems and good mileage and see no reason to go higher. The lower you go the higher the octane that is required. You can't even find 85 down below 3000'.

For the oil changes just follow the vehicles notifications. On my first change I could of possibly of gone close to 10,000 miles but I had a long trip coming up so I changed it at 8500. If you have the service contract on your vehicle the dealer might not change it early unless you pay for it out of your pocket. But that is the nice thing about running a synthetic oil.

Hey Forum,

Have a new 2017 XLT Explorer and the dealership states to have the oil changed at 8000km or 6 months.
I have always been of the opinion that you change the oil at around 1000km first off and then go to every 5000km. Thoughts? Should I be following the dealer's advice on this?

Also, the owner's manual states that 87 Grade Gas can be used by 91 Octane is preferred.
What do you guys use and is their a real benefit to going the more expensive route?

Thanks

Craig
Using the 'Search' feature (upper right) will bring up several threads on oil changes.
Oil change interval; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/oil-change-interval.309598/
Octane; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/which-octane-fuel-in-3-5-v6-explorer.411371/

To prevent "reinventing the wheel", this thread has been locked.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back