Flowmaster 40 Single Exhaust Power Boost | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flowmaster 40 Single Exhaust Power Boost

ZachEB07

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hello, I have an 07 Ford Explorer with the 292HP (stock) 4.6L V8. I have a single flowmaster 40 installed and it sounds great. Wondering how much of a HP gain I'm getting. Pickup is nice and engine is completely stock. No resonator and cat hasn't been removed since the muffler is after it. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

at most 10hp..... and with the weight of your truck any noticeable differences will all be in your head

Placebo. I highly doubt you gained anything using the stock piping. Flowmasters just make noise and not very good noise at that. Open that thing up and get you a real 3" setup and you'll be more impressed. I went with the Gibson swept side but ended up adding an 18" dynomax resonator in front to cut out the higher freq. tinny/trumpeting noise you hear on most mustangs. My truck moves but it wasn't inline with that sound. Now it has a nice low freq rumble and growl.

This is before the resonator install, doesn't describe exactly what I mean by trumpets but anyways...

The best part, zero drone.

look for engine masters on youtube they did a full video on exhausts and proved numbers with the engine dyno.... 3" vs 2.5" did nothing, they used a mild 350. they used a magnaflow straight through muff vs a cheap supermarket thrush and it was 10hp with all their pipe sizes

Edit... OP has no resonator... eat your heart out to whatever suits you.

The stock heavy/packed resonator and single pipe design on our trucks has to be cutting back a few ponies. They were using a dual pipe setup there. Also, Flowmasters do not flow particularly well vs the others. Your point is valid, It'll sound good atleast.

Great show

Here is that particular episode

Back