Ford Ecoboost Engine Carbon Deposits: What You Need to Know | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Ecoboost Engine Carbon Deposits: What You Need to Know

makuloco2000

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Here is my latest video on the Ecoboost Engines and carbon buildup. I quickly sum up what I was trying to say in my popular video- New Warning to All Ecoboost Owners. I go over what we are seeing at the dealers and what you can do to prevent any excess buildup of carbon as well as the latest information from Ford. This one video should answer most if not all of your questions pertaining to this issue.

*****Note- I mention a catch can WILL void your warranty if added, I want to be more clear on this and state that a Catch Can MAY void your warranty. It is all up to your servicing Dealer and the Ford Field Reps on a case by case basis.******

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So with all these Ecoboost motors being put into cars.. 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.3, 2.7, 3.5, 2nd gen 3.5 etc etc.. if this is such a problem, why is Ford building all these motors if they know it's a problem? I can't believe ANY manufacturer would build SEVEN motors with such an issue that you are stating.

One of the biggest topics right now is using 87 octane on a motor designed for 93. What is your take on saving some pennies and buying a lower octane fuel?

** Just watched the video.. one more question, you mention a full synthetic which I run in my 6.7. What is your opinion on the Ford semi synthetic oil that you guys use in your oil changes?

** Just watched the video.. one more question, you mention a full synthetic which I run in my 6.7. What is your opinion on the Ford semi synthetic oil that you guys use in your oil changes?

Good question that I'd like to know myself. I take my '14 Sport to the dealer I bought it from for service. I'm sure they use bulk oil.

My dealer uses the regular premium 5W-30 motor oil in my Ecoboost engine. I am using 91 octane gas but haven't really noticed a difference from when I was using 87. The Owner's Guide says the 87 is the recommended gasoline octane.

Octane Recommendations
3.5L V6 EcoBoost®, 3.7L V6 and 2.0L I4 EcoBoost® engines
“Regular” unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is
recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an
octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with
octane levels below 87 are not recommended. Premium fuel will provide
improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage such
as trailer tow.

Peter

So with all these Ecoboost motors being put into cars.. 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.3, 2.7, 3.5, 2nd gen 3.5 etc etc.. if this is such a problem, why is Ford building all these motors if they know it's a problem? I can't believe ANY manufacturer would build SEVEN motors with such an issue that you are stating.

One of the biggest topics right now is using 87 octane on a motor designed for 93. What is your take on saving some pennies and buying a lower octane fuel?

Ok so after watching the video you realize the problem is not that big correct? I would say the worst engine for this is the 2.0L Eco over any other. As far as the oil most as ours did use base stock oil not matter what you request or is told to you on the works coupon you received. Where as full synthetic is not likely in the drum at any dealership so if you request full synthetic you will be able to see them putting the bottles in not bulk. I think semi synthetic is the lowest I would go from any oil manufacturer just because of the hot oil sitting in the turbo housing after shutdown even thought there is some cooling flow still happening.

I use the highest quality oil avail, even If I end up changing it before its recommended drain interval. there is not much that can be done about fuel dilution.

I use the highest quality oil avail, even If I end up changing it before its recommended drain interval. there is not much that can be done about fuel dilution.

There is a new tsb out for fuel dilution with new pcv and pcm software for cold climates.

My engineering contacts just advised me that TSB 15-0003 does NOT apply to the Explorer.

Please confirm you were told differently?

Does this have anything to do with the Spy Hunter smoke screen I leave behind me under full-throttle acceleration?

Tony

Ok so after watching the video you realize the problem is not that big correct? I would say the worst engine for this is the 2.0L Eco over any other. As far as the oil most as ours did use base stock oil not matter what you request or is told to you on the works coupon you received. Where as full synthetic is not likely in the drum at any dealership so if you request full synthetic you will be able to see them putting the bottles in not bulk. I think semi synthetic is the lowest I would go from any oil manufacturer just because of the hot oil sitting in the turbo housing after shutdown even thought there is some cooling flow still happening.

My wife has a 2013 Escape with the 2.0L Eco. Why do you say it is the worst engine for this issue over the other Eco Ford engines?

Hopefully I won't have any issues with this. I changed the oil at 4K miles to Penzoil Ultra Platinum Pure Plus, what a name. We do probably 70% of our driving on the highway, and I floor it probably once per day, it's just so much fun. I also put in premium fuel, without any ethanol added.

Back