Ford Explorer 2003 XLT rear tailgate glass | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer 2003 XLT rear tailgate glass

ijb140856

Reaction score
City, State
Pett, Hastings
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi everybody I own a Ford Explorer 2003 XLT model. Its Vin is 1FMDU73E73ZA81368 and I imported it to the UK from Japan about seven years ago. Recently the rear window glass shattered and I am having problems finding a replacement in the UK. I believe the Ford part number maybe 3L2Z78422A12AC. The glass has five pre-prepared holes, two at the top for the hinges, one in the middle for the wiper motor spindle and two at the bottom for fixing the catch/wiper motor assembly. Can any one help me in finding a replacement. I've attached a photo. Thanks. Ian

IMG_7081.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess it all comes down to how much you want to spend to fix it. Going by that P/N, there seem to be some in the United States but I couldn't tell you how much it would cost or if they will even ship it across the pond. All I could suggest is contact them and see how much it would cost.

I guess it all comes down to how much you want to spend to fix it. Going by that P/N, there seem to be some in the United States but I couldn't tell you how much it would cost or if they will even ship it across the pond. All I could suggest is contact them and see how much it would cost.
Hello. My problem is that the third generation explorer wasn't imported into the UK but did go to Japan from where I imported the car to England. A friend of mine had done the same thing before me and always said good things about the model. We live on farms and really only use the cars during winter when snowed in. Even Ford UK can't really help me as they have no cross over match for UK and US part numbers! Looking at US Ford parts websites I can see that they are still available new but at really silly prices for a car that's 18 years old, although in good condition and only 'done' 60,000 miles. I have been trying US salvage yards but haven't found anyone that transports freight outside continental USA which is very costly and plus tax. I'm getting worried that I might not find the part I'm after which would mean the end of life for a car that is otherwise in very good condition. Thanks for your interest. Ian

If you can't find a replacement or don't want to buy a new one and have shipped, why not find a lexan supplier and have a sheet cut? You could even take a rectangular piece and use a router to make the edges the right dimensions.

If you really wanted to still use the window would need to make a frame as 0.25" thick Lexan can get $$.

You would probably have to bolt it on and not be able to use the window and wiper anymore because lexan scratches fairly easy. Could use water repellent coating to make water bead up and run off.

Lexan is UV stabilized so it will last a decent amount of time outdoors and doesn't crack and splinter like acrylic.

There are a great many junkyards in the southwest of the US, mainly Arizona. These do allot of business on parts from older vehicles because the vehicles from that part of the country have very little rust due to the very dry climate. There are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of used trucks there that would have an intact tailgate glass. I would contact a few of them and see what they would charge to ship to you. These are places where you can probably get someone on the phone and talk to them.

Here are a few places,

Desert Valley Auto Parts
22213 N 21st Ave.
Phoenix, AZ, 85027
001-623-780-8024
sales@dvap.com

American Auto Recycling
117 E. Baseline Road
Gilbert, AZ, 85233
001-480-961-1112
parts@americanaz.com

Riteway Auto Parts
2502 West Broadway Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85041
001-800-585-7507
info@ritewayauto.com

I don't know if any of these could accommodate you but I think it's worth a few emails to find out. There is a network of these businesses and if you contact one, they can probably forward your request to others.

International Economy from FedEx would be about $200 US to the UK for a 10 pound package.

Unless I have the part number wrong, I don't think that you can buy these new in the US anymore either. The search on Ford "DB10556YPY" doesn't come up with anything from the Ford dealers, mostly ebay and a few independent parts dealers.

This site seems to have them for about $200,
holbrookautoparts.com
001-313-868-6000

Back Glass NEW-IN-STOCK (DB10556YPY) COMPLETE ASSEMBLY ($200)

I don't know if they would do international shipping or not. You might need to buy a new seal as well if the part doesn't come with one.

LMHmedchem

There are a great many junkyards in the southwest of the US, mainly Arizona. These do allot of business on parts from older vehicles because the vehicles from that part of the country have very little rust due to the very dry climate. There are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of used trucks there that would have an intact tailgate glass. I would contact a few of them and see what they would charge to ship to you. These are places where you can probably get someone on the phone and talk to them.

Here are a few places,

Desert Valley Auto Parts
22213 N 21st Ave.
Phoenix, AZ, 85027
001-623-780-8024
sales@dvap.com

American Auto Recycling
117 E. Baseline Road
Gilbert, AZ, 85233
001-480-961-1112
parts@americanaz.com

Riteway Auto Parts
2502 West Broadway Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85041
001-800-585-7507
info@ritewayauto.com

I don't know if any of these could accommodate you but I think it's worth a few emails to find out. There is a network of these businesses and if you contact one, they can probably forward your request to others.

International Economy from FedEx would be about $200 US to the UK for a 10 pound package.

Unless I have the part number wrong, I don't think that you can buy these new in the US anymore either. The search on Ford "DB10556YPY" doesn't come up with anything from the Ford dealers, mostly ebay and a few independent parts dealers.

This site seems to have them for about $200,
holbrookautoparts.com
001-313-868-6000

Back Glass NEW-IN-STOCK (DB10556YPY) COMPLETE ASSEMBLY ($200)

I don't know if they would do international shipping or not. You might need to buy a new seal as well if the part doesn't come with one.

LMHmedchem
Thanks for this, I've already written to the three salvage yards you suggested. I know that the part is available new from Lakeland Ford Online Parts, and others, at about $570 discounted form $822, Ford Explorer Liftgate Glass. 2002-05, FORD, from 03/04/2002 - 3L2Z78422A12AC | Lakeland Ford Online Parts, Lakeland FL. The problem is, and I checked, they want $450 for shipping, I guess because this part weighs a lot more than 10lb, and I don't think that includes tax I'd pay this end. I will contact Holbrookautoparts tomorrow. Ian

If you can't find a replacement or don't want to buy a new one and have shipped, why not find a lexan supplier and have a sheet cut? You could even take a rectangular piece and use a router to make the edges the right dimensions.

If you really wanted to still use the window would need to make a frame as 0.25" thick Lexan can get $$.

You would probably have to bolt it on and not be able to use the window and wiper anymore because lexan scratches fairly easy. Could use water repellent coating to make water bead up and run off.

Lexan is UV stabilized so it will last a decent amount of time outdoors and doesn't crack and splinter like acrylic.
Thanks I guess this might be a last resort fix but for the time being I'll go on trying to find a replacement. Ian

Hi everybody I own a Ford Explorer 2003 XLT model. Its Vin is 1FMDU73E73ZA81368 and I imported it to the UK from Japan about seven years ago. Recently the rear window glass shattered and I am having problems finding a replacement in the UK. I believe the Ford part number maybe 3L2Z78422A12AC. The glass has five pre-prepared holes, two at the top for the hinges, one in the middle for the wiper motor spindle and two at the bottom for fixing the catch/wiper motor assembly. Can any one help me in finding a replacement. I've attached a photo. Thanks. Ian

View attachment 328239
I can get one here in GA. And If I cant get mine going I'll sell you mine.

Shipping Methods​

• $222.34StandardEst. Delivery Mar 19 - Mar 23
  • $239.05ExpeditedEst. Delivery Mar 16 - Mar 17
  • FreeLocal Pick up in Gainesville, GA 2407 Browns Bridge rd.

View attachment 328239
They want $505.00 for the glass here where I am and $222.00 to ship it to me. I can go pick it up for free and takes me little more than an hour to get there.

Or I can source you one from a yard and you just pay the shipping.

They want $505.00 for the glass here where I am and $222.00 to ship it to me. I can go pick it up for free and takes me little more than an hour to get there.

Or I can source you one from a yard and you just pay the shipping.
Minus the cost for the glass obviously.

View attachment 328239
There is no way i would pay $550.00 for that glass. If you want I will find it for way less and figure out the shipping cost. I hate getting screwed too.

I was searching a different part number. I came up with DB10556YPY when I was looking for the glass. The part you posted from Lakeland Ford (3L2Z78422A12AC) includes the applique panel and another part that might be wiring for the defrost. You only want the glass as far as I can tell.

This is the part I found on Amazon,

NAGD Heated Back Tailgate Window Back Glass Compatible with Ford Explorer 2003-2005 4 Door Models

The above part came up with a search on DB10556YPY and the "check fit" function at Amazon says it is the correct part for a 2003 XLT. The listing shows a weight of 7 pounds, which sounds about right for just the glass. Of course, there would be extra weight from the packaging which would need to include significant padding. I was guessing that the package would be about 10 pounds but I could be wrong about that.

There was no price for this since it was out of stock, but that is what I used to estimate the shipping. If you search DB10556YPY on ebay there is a listing for the glass but it's $368 US before shipping.

LMHmedchem

I was searching a different part number. I came up with DB10556YPY when I was looking for the glass. The part you posted from Lakeland Ford (3L2Z78422A12AC) includes the applique panel and another part that might be wiring for the defrost. You only want the glass as far as I can tell.

This is the part I found on Amazon,

NAGD Heated Back Tailgate Window Back Glass Compatible with Ford Explorer 2003-2005 4 Door Models

The above part came up with a search on DB10556YPY and the "check fit" function at Amazon says it is the correct part for a 2003 XLT. The listing shows a weight of 7 pounds, which sounds about right for just the glass. Of course, there would be extra weight from the packaging which would need to include significant padding. I was guessing that the package would be about 10 pounds but I could be wrong about that.

There was no price for this since it was out of stock, but that is what I used to estimate the shipping. If you search DB10556YPY on ebay there is a listing for the glass but it's $368 US before shipping.

LMHmedchem
I really need the plastic panel stuck to the bottom of the glass as the one I have is still very stuck to the broken remains of the tail gate glass. I doubt I'll get it off in one piece so I think that it'll be easier if I get the whole thing even if I have to paint the new plastic strip to match the car's paint code which is YZ, Oxford White. I have seen a video on YouTube of some guy removing that strip on his car with a chisel and bolster but there is no way I can do that with what's left of my screen. The harness is less important. I've already heard back from Chuck at Riteway Auto Parts. They don't ship international only continental USA. I'm very grateful for how much support the forum is giving me. Somehow I think that together we are going to get this sorted. Yours. Ian

There is no way i would pay $550.00 for that glass. If you want I will find it for way less and figure out the shipping cost. I hate getting screwed too.
That's really good of you; if you'd be prepared to do that it would be fantastic. New is way too expensive but I might not have any choice. If you were able, and prepared, to look for another more cost effective route of course I could reimburse you any costs involved by bank transfer or any method you might prefer. It would be best if there could be a colour match for the plastic strip if salvage but like I said I could always repaint the bit after wards. Please let me know what you think and thanks. Ian

That's really good of you; if you'd be prepared to do that it would be fantastic. New is way too expensive but I might not have any choice. If you were able, and prepared, to look for another more cost effective route of course I could reimburse you any costs involved by bank transfer or any method you might prefer. It would be best if there could be a colour match for the plastic strip if salvage but like I said I could always repaint the bit after wards. Please let me know what you think and thanks. Ian
I live near Lakeland fl. If y’all can’t find one I have a couple and I’d give you one the plastic is cracked. If your interested find a shipping company that will package and ship and it’s all yours.

I live near Lakeland fl. If y’all can’t find one I have a couple and I’d give you one the plastic is cracked. If your interested find a shipping company that will package and ship and it’s all yours.
Hi that would be great you can buy the plastic strip separately. If you let me have your address I can see what shipping to me might cost. I'll leave my home email address which is famigliabruce@btinternet.com so that you don't need to share your details with anyone. I'm still waiting for cancrusher187 to get back to me so I could sort this out in the meantime. Thanks for your help. Ian

Hi everyone. I have just heard that I can get one of these screens new from a UK American glass importer, Amglass, in Worcestershire, UK for £365 and I have already ordered it. That's the 3L2Z78422A12AC part number with harness and plastic bottom panel. Thanks very much for all the suggestions and help that has been offered from the forum especially Zach, Zwamp Rat. I hope you don't all mind if I hang around as a member because I am sure that it would be very useful, and at the very least informative, should I need help again in the future. Best wishes to you all. Ian

Back