Front Drive Shaft Removed 1997 V8... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Drive Shaft Removed 1997 V8...

ajbremer

Reaction score
City, State
Checotah, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ford Explorer
I'm purchasing a 1997 V8 Ford Explorer for the first time. It has 208,000 miles on it and runs very good (the seller says). He mentioned that the front drive shaft has been removed and he 'thinks' it was because of a U-joint problem. I'm hoping that is the case and that it's not a transfer case problem.

Apparently he's been driving it without the front drive shaft for some time. I'm going to pick it up this morning. Should I be concerned that the front drive shaft has been off for a long time? Can I readily tell if it was a u-joint problem as opposed to something wrong with the transfer case?

Last question for now: Do many high milage 1997 V8 Explorer u-joints fail - is this a common thing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should apply the parking brake when parked or the vehicle will slowly drift if on a hill. I removed my front shaft because the chain was worn and would jump gears under hard acceleration. However the chain was not that hard to replace in the transfer case. Mine is a 1996 AWD single speed unit. I suspect the chain got worn by running un-matched tires because one tire was damaged so I only replaced 2. Now I only replace all 4 just in case that is why.

My U-joint was fine, the CV joint (TC end) failed at 160k miles. Replaced both in 2 hours. I doubt that only because if that was the shaft removed...
However, running the truck without front shaft is worse that running with different tires.

It might be 2WD only by now, because the VC inside TC might be toasted.

usually when the front drive shaft has been removed from an AWD, it's because of a problem with the AWD t-case. sellers typically either don't tell the buyer that the shaft has been removed, or they say the it was removed for a driveshaft problem. repairing the t-case can cost around $1200, so be advised. as previously mentioned once the t-case is damaged it can be driven as a RWD, but you must remember to always set the parking brake or they can creep away when parked on a hill.

Was it mentioned to be an AWD? If it is not, drive it as long as you wish, minus the front shaft, just don't get stuck where you will need 4WD! imp

It's a V8. Of course it was an AWD.

Some wads pull the shaft intentionally to improve their vehicles. Get better mileage they claim, citing all manner of engineering rotation unsprung weight whatever. But hey, it's their trucks they can do whatever.

Back