Front end knocking and rubbing after using spare tire 02 ford explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end knocking and rubbing after using spare tire 02 ford explorer

mtransley

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer
02 Ford explorer 4x4. These issues first appeared AS SOON as I installed my spare after catching a flat. The spare was used on the rear driver side and although it's the same size, the tread is much thicker and a different pattern than the other tires. I believe the 4x4 is the cause of the issue. Again, the rubbing noise started immediately. It sounds similar to a table saw but not quite as loud. It seems to come from the front driver side. The knocking started the next day. I rode on it a few days, which was unwise, and now that the tire has been replaced with an identical tire the issue still persists. Some more specifics....

The noises are not present when I first start driving. Not because of speed, because after I've been driving a while it continues at low speeds. It does not happen constantly. It's not as noticeable at high speeds. It's worse between 40 and 60 mph. No matter the speed it will go away randomly and then just as randomly reappear. When it reappears it pulls slightly to one side. The issue caused the plastic bushing on the front passenger sway bar link to break. I have replaced that link. If I engage the 4x4 high the knocking stops but the rubbing gets louder and higher pitch. The knocking sound does not change with speed but the rubbing does. It seems to happen with each tire revolution. I have jacked the car up and shook the wheel to check for play in the bearing but there was none. The upper ball joint is bad but it was before and I don't believe that's causing this noise. I can feel the knocking in the steering and under the seat. The control arm and most of the assembly on the driver side are greasy and look like fluid has sprayed. I feel like it might be front differential but I'm not sure. Please help!!!

Back