Front Wipers Just Stopped - Ice - Best Motor Brand For The Money? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Wipers Just Stopped - Ice - Best Motor Brand For The Money?

J_C

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
Had an ice storm recently. Cleared front windshield completely, started wipers, wipers ran normally 1/2 pass, to around the full sweep up position then just stopped, did not sweep back down and park. Turning wipers on and off, zero movement, just heard 3 faint clicks and motor not spinning. Checked fuse and relays, all good.

Turns out I didn't need a new motor, was just residual ice that jammed it up in the linkage, and a bucket of warm water fixed it, was coincidence that the ice was in just the right places to let it go 1/2 revolution.

I almost bought a new motor, just to have it if during a teardown it turned out to be needed. I mean from Amazon so free shipping and free returns if it turned out to not be needed.

However Amazon had only 3 choices, a bunch of $40-$50 generics that looked the same as a WAI Global WMP2013 selling for $52 on Rock Auto, and Cardone new & remanufactured, new being out of stock on Amazon but $65 on Rock Auto.

Checked around and found some Motorcraft $120 (reman) and up, I'm sure it's the best choice new but hard to swallow paying 2-3X as much for a reman motor.

Which wiper motors have you had good or bad results with?

Still running OEM wiper motor on front.

Rear wiper motor went out about five years ago, so I tried Cardone reman unit. The replacement Cardone rear wiper motor failed almost immediately, as did two more Cardone reman units. None of these lasted more than two months. The Cardone rear wiper reman units were complete trash. Finally, went to salvage rear wiper unit, which is still working.

Good luck with your wiper motor.

Back