• Register Today It's free!

frt dana 35 ifs Locker options

slow-demon

Reaction score
City, State
Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 xl sport
I am planning on getting some type of locker for my '91 explorer's dana 35 front end. I was thinking of getting the Detroit e-z locker or the Powertrax lock-rite for it. Is there any other options. Also has anyone had any experience using either lockers for the dana 35 frt end. I remember reading that the axles shafts are more prone to breakage once a locker is installed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Powertrax also makes the No-slip for the front. I think everyone agrees that installing a locker in the front is do-able but you'd have to have manual hubs.

do you guys know anything about the quick lock by detroit locker? it lists at $283.00 for the ford 8.8" has anyone installed it themselves or is it a pro mechanic job. what about performance?

Is that another name for the Gear Less Locker from the Detroit Locker people? If it is then it's basically the same as the Powertrax No-Slip, except it has clutch plates so it could wear out.

The installation for the No-Slip is easy from what others have said on the board and can be done at home in a few hours with basic knowledge and tools. I would venture to say that the Gear Less Locker installation is similar to the No-Slip.

im sure if it is gear less or not. i read a recent aticle in peterson's about lockers and ive always wanted one fro the rear and maybe for the front, but i dont anything about anything when it comes to that. i see that "quick loc" is advertised and is the less expensive. of course i dont want cheap crap bbut if it is a decent locker for a decent ide be willing to try it. I know that an arb system would be controlled by an air compressor and some are full time. i dont mind full time traction rear, but are you implying that it would wear out quicker if it is full time or if it is clutch ngaged. It seems like there are some that are spool driven. i just want to know as much as i can before i buy.

slow demon im looking at a 4 wheel parts add in off-road and it advertises the "quick lock" lik ei am asking about for 241 for a dana 35. i guess i will cal them some time and see if they have a techie who can clearify.

BUCHVILLEMAN -

Unless you're planning on doing a lot of hard core wheeling (rock, water fall, etc.) and major mod to your vehicle, a front locker is probably a luxury, not a necessity. If you're going to do moderate to difficult wheeling, a rear locker is more than adequate for most situations.

I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions regarding rear lockers and they will vary. For my pesonal use, which is moderate wheeling, I choose the Powertrax No-Slip because of the low cost, ease of operation on pavement, it does not have the clutch plates to wear out in a few years, and it is a locker. Others who are harder on their rig have choosen the Detroil Locker, which is bullet proof from all the comments I have heard, it costs a little more than the No-Slip. There are also those that choose the ARB locker because of the versatility of being able to turn it on/off but is is the most expensive option. With the ARB option, the air compressor can also be used as a pump for your tires with the right accessories. I believe there are two other selectable lockers on the market now: 1) OX locker and 2) an electric locker by TracTec.

The No-Slip is an automatic full-time locker. It's a new design so it's more giving on pavement, almost transparent in operation. There are no clutch plates in the No-Slip so there is nothing to wear out.

The Gear-Less Locker from TracTec is also an automatic full-time locker. It has clutch plates so it's more forgiving on pavement than the No-Slip but the draw back is the plates could wear out making the locker not as effective.

The spool is an entirely different animal. There is absolutely no give whatsoever. Both tires are turning at the exact same rate. It's probably not the best choice if you're using your vehicle as a daily driver.

If you decide to get one for the front also, make sure you ask for a locker to fit in a Dana 35 with reverse cut because it goes in the front.

A number of people on this board are running with the No-Slip (in the rear), do a search for "No-Slip", there was a survey a few weeks back and see if it's something you may be interested in.

thanks KVO that was the best simplified explination that i have gotten so far. After looking at the powertrax it would definitely suit my needs. i go on trail rides and wheel around the farm and a couple trips a year to the mountains. its primarily sand and mud. definitely no rocks but maybe a stream or creek. i was talking to a mechanic last night and i asked him about lockers and he said go with a spool. i was still open to te idea when he then sugestted i go to this guy down the road and get my shafs welded together for the ultimate spool affect. it was amusing because he was serious. Thanks again for the info.

I personally don't like full lockers in the front. Its hard to steer and keep it under control. Consider a limited slip like a Trak Lock, or similar. It adds a lot of traction, but allows slippage so its easier to steer. If you want a full locker, go for a ARB so you can turn it on only when its needed.

Back