Getting ready to paint...just some questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting ready to paint...just some questions

dgonz

Reaction score
City, State
Porterville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLS
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to paint the plastic trim around the stereo head unit like what was done here

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2476042#post2476042

I'm also really considering doing the plastic trim piece that surrounds the gauges on the dash, I think it would be a nice accent.

So far on my shopping list I have a scotch brite scour pad, krylon fusion paint, and some isopropyl alcohol. I've never painted anything in my life lol so I was wondering if any of you more experienced guys had any tips or advice? anything else that I should pick up before I have at it this weekend?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are many different ways to paint, everyone probably pretty much throws their own spin on it.

-I sand and wetsand first, (Get all that rubber coating BS off)
-Primer (Love this stuff!)
-Wetsand
-Paint 2 layers
-Wetsand
-Paint another
-Wetsand it lightly with like 2000+ grit
-Clear/or no clear thats your choice.

This is what my technique get me: (My previous ride, 02 Grand Am GT)
IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

And jus to show the glossiness (If thats a word)
IMAG0056.jpg

Oh man that looks awesome!

I'm gonna have to youtube "how to wetsand" because I haven't the slightest idea what that means haha thanks for the tips though I appreciate it!

Its so easy, just make sure you have sandpaper thats "wetsandable" or however the package says it, otherwise the glue is usually water soluable and the sand literally wipes off the paper :)

I usually only do small parts, so I have a big enough sink todo it in, get the paper wet, along with the part and sand like normal. It makes for such a smooth glass like finish if you do it right.

Also you have to feather it on. You hold the can in one spot or don't move quick enough your going to create blotches and make it look funny. Light strokes and let it set is also key. Good luck

Do u take out all that interior trim to paint it? Or just tape it all off lol? I've been thinking bout doing this too. I just painted all my exterior trim and was happy with it. Someone do a write up!!!

God no lol take it out!

Its addicting though isnt it? :p:

It is! Haha. Any threads on here with instructions for removing the trim on a ST?

it should be just a couple of bolts; but yes you NEED to remove it

I understand that now lol.

hey brian, i used your tips to refinish the trim in my ST. the rubber was starting to peel, so i peeled it off and repainted it using some of your tips, thanks!

Back