Going to inspect a 1994 Explorer XLT 4x4 - 117k | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going to inspect a 1994 Explorer XLT 4x4 - 117k

DrGrant

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Jeep
Hello Ford Explorer owners,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips for inspecting a '94 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 for purchase. Literally any advice could be helpful. Looks pretty clean, does have a small bit of rust.

Usually I just test drive, listen for noises, check the fluids for funk, inspect the undercarriage and the front end, my expertise level is backyard mechanic, anything will help. I also have no experience with ODB1 vehicles, and I don't know if the seller would be alright with me jumping a wire to read codes.

I haven't had the best luck with older Ford automatics, but they've made me very proactive with fluid/filter changes - Is it wrong for me to go in weary of the transmission? Any tips on that front would help as well - any noises to look out for? Signs of abuse?

Any advice you have will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the transmission had regular service and it wasn't driven like a rental car it would have a lot of life left. All the older fords I have bought needed bushings. The climate here in phoenix seems to do that to rubber. If you are lucky none of the fluids have been changed so you can get a good idea of how it was cared for. Check to make sure the title is clean.

Assume the average person doesn't give hoot about maintenance. I'm sorry but its true. People will change engine oil every 3000 miles (a waste IMO), but anything else is a run it till it fails deal. That is not the proper way, and some people do maintain their vehicles. At 117 miles, the biggest concern will be the transmission. If the fluid has never been changed, it is probably on its way out. The engine should be bullet proof to well past 200k, driven regularly, they go past 300k easy.

Make sure the 4x4 works, and no noises during driving. wiggle the rear driveshaft and make sure the u joints are good. Wiggle the front tire as best you can to check for badly worn tie rod ends or ball joints. Check the rear shackles for rust. All bushings go bad in time, if you were concerned about it, don't buy a 20+ year old vehicle. There is really nothing special to look for on OBD I. They still have a check engine light like any newer car. The EGR tube is more than likely rusted out. Also its rare people replace the valves ever (supposed to be ever 50k or so).

Signs of abuse are the same as anything. Dents, scrapes, bent parts, etc. Just ask the seller when they last did fluid changes. If they never changed the tranny fluid before, assume you will need a new one.

2stroke is right, unless there was an issue it probably has factory brake fluid.

Thanks fellas - I agree with your sentiment 100% 2stroke.

I've "window shopped" off and on for a couple years now, only really getting serious within the last 2 months. I've questioned myself a few times, as the 91-94 Explorers I've been finding are just completely played out - not to mention you can find newer explorers for dirt cheap. I should have followed my gut 15 years ago and bought one then. :)

But I'll keep my eyes peeled. As long as the price is in line, I don't mind high mileage whatsoever. I just don't want to mess with a trans, I don't mind manual, as a clutch is a lot cheaper.

I wish I could have bought an explorer 15 years ago, I wasn't old enough (only 21 now). I really wish I liked newer cars, I simply don't. I like the Nissan xterra, but I've been looking for a couple of years for a manual transmission version at a reasonable price. Even now, a 2000 xterra with higher miles is usually listed over 3000. If you want a cheap 4x4 95-01 is definitely the years you want to look in. Its my opinion that the first gens are better, but they take more work and money to keep them going.

Many, if not most, of the Gen1 Explorers I see listed locally (western Washington State) on Craigslist have transmission problems and tend to have between 175 and 225k miles reported. I'm sure that doesn't constitute any kind of rule, but if I were looking I'd consider anything in or past that range to be a big question mark. On the other hand, our '92 XLT has around 235k without enough transmission fluid changes and is still going strong. However, we purchased it new, we're both conservative drivers, and never tow with it.
Having said that, I've recently purchased two '94 Ex's with transmission problems (cheap!) and intend to use them as learning tools later this year.

I found an immaculate 2WD '94 XLT 150k - with a year old rebuilt transmission but they want a pretty penny for it. I'd love to have a body that clean, but it's past my price threshold for this project. The search continues - hopefully I turn up something with 4WD

I would be wary of 'rebuilt' transmission claims, especially without written proof. As with most mechanical equipment there are multiple ways to 'rebuild' something. A remanufactured transmission with a warranty (even if it's expired) from a known source would make me feel better, or possibly one from a local shop with a good reputation. Just my 0.02 worth.

Back