Wanted - Guess You Call It A Tire Tool | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted Guess You Call It A Tire Tool

Parts or services wanted

Radioace318

Reaction score
City, State
Shreveport Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Exp XLT 5.0 2WD
I’m searching for the stock tool that is used to lower the spare tire on the 99 xlt EB. I have been to every u-pull-it parts yard in town just to learn they are all missing. If I even knew what they look like I would build one. I can not see down into the receptacle to see what it takes.

I was in the Sam’s Club parking lot yesterday and a lady pulled up in a 2000 xlt and parked right beside me. I so wanted to ask her would it be possible to see her tool?

Fearing a face full of mace, I decided against this idea. We are after all in the deep south and I consider myself nothing short of a southern gentleman so I did not press it.

I use google and still have not ran across a picture of this thing.
Could someone point me to a picture of this thing? I did find the little clips on the inside of that compartment in the left rear cargo area. Nothing in it except my keyless door code module. (thanks to this board I found that)

Ideally I would like to find a source for the whole set up. The jack (I would not use on the side of the road) and tire tool(s) to remove the hub cap *the type that just covers the lug nuts) and the "let the tire down" tool (for a lack of a better name)

Cheers!

Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's anything like my 94 (pretty sure it is) a long flat head screw driver will work to lower the spare tire. One of the really big ones that most people use as a pry bar.

Mine is actually located behind the back seat. The actual tire iron is located in the side compartment. It looks like a tire iron flat, but mine is bent on the end. Like willindsay indicated, you can use a large flat blade screwdriver.

There is a pretty good drawing of the setup in the "Roadside Emergencies" section of the owner's manual; if you don't have one you can find pdf's online. The jack and the lug nut wrench are in the left rear quarter panel. The jack handle (which is also used to lower/raise the spare tire) is behind the rear seats under the carpet. It's a metal rod about 2 feet long with a broad, shallow hook at one end. The hooked end goes thru a hole above the rear bumper (tailgate open) and engages the lowering/raising mechanism. There is a slot in the lug nut wrench that the end of the jack handle goes thru to provide a lever arm to turn the mechanism and lower/raise the tire. As noted above, a large flat blade screwdriver will also work, but you might need an adjustable wrench to put on the shaft to turn it. Good luck!

Compliments of Joe Dirt...

Thank you & Joe for the reply.

THAT is exactly the tools I'm looking. I did today find just the lug tool with the slot near the end with the bent flat blade look to it. btw.. 8 bucks for this rusty hunk of junk. All the rest of the tire change tools were missing.

While I was there the flat bed pulled up with a SWEET looking 06 Expedition on the back. Not a single scratch. Why would someone sell it to a junk yard?
To watch a mega fork lift pick it up from the side and place it up on the rack to remove the gas tank and all other fluids was almost sickening. I was eye balling those 4 PERFECT alloy wheels with a set of tires in almost new condition. I was told the 16s would not fit my exp xlt. damnit. $28 bucks a wheel & tire WITH cap.

I could not hang around to rob the jack N stuff out of it. They most likely would want too much money for the tools in the first place.

Thanks again for all the input people.

Cheers
Rick

Back