Hard vibration in rear end during acceleration. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hard vibration in rear end during acceleration.

Twood

Reaction score
City, State
Stevens, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have a 98 Explorer Eddie Bauer 5.0 Awd. When Driving at a steady speed and then accelerating, or when accelerating to go up a hill or a highway on-ramp, a hard short burst of vibration comes from the rear end. The best way I can describe it is like going over rumble strips very quickly. Any ideas as to what this could be?

I have a 98 Explorer Eddie Bauer 5.0 Awd. When Driving at a steady speed and then accelerating, or when accelerating to go up a hill or a highway on-ramp, a hard short burst of vibration comes from the rear end. The best way I can describe it is like going over rumble strips very quickly. Any ideas as to what this could be?
Check U-joints first. Rear axle bearings and gears usually do not produce a rumble effect. However, a rear WHEEL bearing can sometimes.

Only thing I’ve ever felt in an Explorer like that was torque converter shudder. It’s common in those 4R70W trans. When was the last time you changed fluid?

Back