Has anyone replaced the ribbed tensioner pulley w/ a metal smooth pulley? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone replaced the ribbed tensioner pulley w/ a metal smooth pulley?

Cobra Jet

Reaction score
City, State
Southern, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLS
Just wondering if anyone has replaced the stock PLASTIC ribbed belt tensioner pulley on a 4.0 Explorer with an aftermarket (or parts store) smooth metal pulley?

(NOTE: I am NOT referring to the idler pulley)

If so, what was the part # you had used?

Does the tensioner pulley need to be ribbed, I mean, as long as there is tension, realistically the belt should not slip off the pulley (and many other vehicles have smooth tensioner pulleys as opposed to plastic ribbed)...?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wondering if anyone has replaced the stock PLASTIC ribbed belt tensioner pulley on a 4.0 Explorer with an aftermarket (or parts store) smooth metal pulley?

(NOTE: I am NOT referring to the idler pulley)

If so, what was the part # you had used?

Does the tensioner pulley need to be ribbed, I mean, as long as there is tension, realistically the belt should not slip off the pulley (and many other vehicles have smooth tensioner pulleys as opposed to plastic ribbed)...?

Do not put a smooth pully where there is a ribbed pulley. It is ribbed for a reason. The ribs act as a guide for the belt, without the ribs the belt would slip off the pulley.

Do not put a smooth pully where there is a ribbed pulley. It is ribbed for a reason. The ribs act as a guide for the belt, without the ribs the belt would slip off the pulley.

Even worse, running the ribs on a smooth surface, under tension, will
destroy the ribs real quick, causing belt disintegration, if it don't fly off first! imp

I did the opposite on my van. The two smooth metal idler pulleys were replaced with plastic ribbed pulleys with raised sides. The tensioner still has a smooth metal pulley. Is there any particular reason why you want to swap the pulleys? The reason I swapped my pulleys was because the plastic pulleys were available, and the metal pulleys weren't.

thanks for the replies -

I was really looking for a steel ribbed tensioner pulley - but it seems every single parts distributor only offers the plastic pulley.

No big deal - I was merely just curious as to if a smooth steel could be used in place of the ribbed plastic, however, I see the reasons as to why a ribbed tensioner must be used in the position that it is located (and designed).

Thanks!

Back