• Register Today It's free!

Hello, got a '99 Explorer

Snowboi

Reaction score
City, State
Northwest, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLS
Hello all, my name is Richard, I live in northwest Florida. I jsut got a 1999 Explorer in on a trade. I traded the guy a '91 wrecked Maita, while it still drove and ran perfectly, it still had been wrecked, first day I put "For Sale, $400.", I got like 2-5 people wanting to buy it, I ended up doing a straight up trade for the '99 Explorer, great deal for me! Its going to be my new daily driver, seeing as I want to put my gas hog '86 Monte Carlo SS off the road and work on it as a full time project, not have to worry about putting everything back because I have to drive somewhere (its a daily driver, which is also a project), its not a stock SS, engine swap, cam, carb, blah, it gets way below 9mpg, so the Explorer is a jump in the right direction.

The Explorer isnt in the best condition, very few problems with it, all of them I can personally fix. It has 106k miles on it, the motor is a 4.0 OHV, 2wd, 4 door, and it has cloth interior with manual seats.

I basicly want to work to get the best mpg, while still doing things that trucks/suvs are ment to do. I have been reading alot of threads, and I think I'm in the right forum/site.

I'm sure I'll have a few questions sooner or later.

Here is a picture of it when I first got it a couple weeks ago,
1303174163.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the forum, sounds like you got a great deal. Do you have any in particular plans or mods for it yet?

Thanks for the welcomes, Tony, I know you from MCSS forums, haha.

No mods yet, but I plan to just build for good/decent gas milage. Not too worried about what it looks like. But I have a few things planned, nothing that will break the budget, because most of the budget money is going to my project, not the Explorer.

If you want extraordinary gas mileage, I suggest looking up the forum user aldive, his truck got around 30mpg (i think) before he passed away.

R.I.P.

Good luck with your modifications! :)

Yea, I read alot his posts/threads, infact, because of him, I'm going to be working on the best gas milage, not just the looks (which I really am not worried about).

A few details about what I plan to do, tint the front windows, get better headlights (the single peice light housings look better, but costs alot more and I dont really like the way alot of them look like), and basic drivabilty things.

R.I.P Aldive.

Back