Hello, help 92 Explr, severe vibrate under load? 12/5/04 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello, help 92 Explr, severe vibrate under load? 12/5/04

FenderStratMan

Reaction score
City, State
The Colony, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer
1992 Explorer 4.0L w/Auto OD

A fairly significant vibration while accelerating (side mirrors vibrate badly).

Vibration quits once you let off gas.

U-joints and drive shaft bolts look okay. Trans fluid okay.

No slippage from a standstill. Shifts to all gears.
Tires and wheels okay.

Engine smooth w/no miss while in park or neutral.

Tach bounces around about 500 RPM when vibrating.

Seems like power-loss and/or miss (spark advance)

No vacuum leaks. New plugs/wires. All connectors/wire seem okay.

Code scanner said throttle position sensor but replacement didn't help. Still get code.

Any ideas?

thx in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FenderStratMan said:
1992 Explorer 4.0L w/Auto OD

A fairly significant vibration while accelerating (side mirrors vibrate badly).

Vibration quits once you let off gas.

U-joints and drive shaft bolts look okay. Trans fluid okay.

No slippage from a standstill. Shifts to all gears.
Tires and wheels okay.

Engine smooth w/no miss while in park or neutral.

Tach bounces around about 500 RPM when vibrating.

Seems like power-loss and/or miss (spark advance)

No vacuum leaks. New plugs/wires. All connectors/wire seem okay.

Code scanner said throttle position sensor but replacement didn't help. Still get code.

Any ideas?

thx in advance

Welcome to the site.. Do you only experience the vibrating under acceleration? You might want to check your balljoints, hubs, bearings for play.

Thx for the welcome. Vibrates under a load is the best description. Vibrates badly during acceleration after 30mph, worsens if pulling a hill or passing, diminishes when maintaining speed (above 30mph). Ball joints, hubs, bearings show no noteable signs of problems...

Any ideas?

FenderStratMan said:
Thx for the welcome. Vibrates under a load is the best description. Vibrates badly during acceleration after 30mph, worsens if pulling a hill or passing, diminishes when maintaining speed (above 30mph). Ball joints, hubs, bearings show no noteable signs of problems...

Any ideas?
I would pull and replace the ujoints on the rear shaft. All of them if they havent been replaced lately. I had one in my old truck that looked good when it was on the truck hooked up, but when I pulled it, i discovered it had no needle bearings or gease left in the caps. I had a nasty vibe on take off, under acceleration, and deceleration, but at normal speeds it was somewhat normal. I only replaced the rear pinion joint, but it eliminated the vibes. THe joints arent very hard or expensive to replace. Just shaking the joint and shaft dont help much. I actually picked some mileage up when i replaced it as well because of all the binding. The speeds you are describing are exactly what i experienced as well. If all else, just replace the rear pinion joint.

Dan

Hey Dan i was reading what you said and i just happen to buy my son a 92 Explorer and its dong just what was explained so i will change the Ujoint today and let you no if it work or not thx

its funny but i'm having pretty much the same problem... vibration under load after 30mph

it all started after changing the ball joints, actually.

but the reason i don't think the ball joints have anything to do with it is because it only happens after 30MPH, and only when i have my foot on the gas with a significant load on the engine. After about 55MPH, the vibration almost totally disapears.

92 ford explorer, 4wd

thanks for any assistance you can offer

i'm haveing the same problem with my 2000 xlt,when i go from 25 to 50mph it vibrates real bad and then when i'm going about 55 to 60 it stops?i'm going to go and pick up the u joints tommorow and replace them are they hard to get out and install? i know they can't cost to much right?thanks for the suggestion.

this problem is really irritating

next week i am going to replace the fuel filter and the 2 u-joints on the driveshaft to the rear wheels... i'll pray that it works but i really don't have a clue if it will work (the parts needed replacing anyway i guess)

2 days ago i was going down a street and got up to about 35, then i put the car in neutral and revved the engine to 2500rpms steady and up to 3500 but let it come back down, and it didn't vibrate at all (except the normal vibrations from the engine being ran that high). again, the car would normally be vibrating at that speed (25-50)

the car only vibrates when my foot is on the gas to begin with so i thought it was odd that it wouldn't vibrate in neutral with my foot on the gas, but then my friend said it could be because the engine wasn't under enough load...

i started a thread in the general forum:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1105427

I'm new here to the website also, and currently I'm suffering from the same problem (annoying vibration which stops when I stop accelerating) in my '91 explorer. My stepfather is a mechanic and says that the u-joints look ok but that I'm in serious need of a front-end alignment and new tires, maybe once he gets a better look at them he'll change his opinion. So I'm in the process of pricing out new ones (including rims). Hopefully this will end my problem if not...more christmas money outta the pockets... :rolleyes:

91expogurl said:
I'm new here to the website also, and currently I'm suffering from the same problem (annoying vibration which stops when I stop accelerating) in my '91 explorer. My stepfather is a mechanic and says that the u-joints look ok but that I'm in serious need of a front-end alignment and new tires, maybe once he gets a better look at them he'll change his opinion. So I'm in the process of pricing out new ones (including rims). Hopefully this will end my problem if not...more christmas money outta the pockets... :rolleyes:

LOL, welcome to the site and good luck, I had to waste my x-mas money on bills :confused:

Back