Hello, New to the world of the Xplorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello, New to the world of the Xplorer

Prof. Wernstrom

Reaction score
City, State
St.Louis
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Hi all, My name is Jake I am 18 and pretty new to the world of the xplo. I have a 93 XLT which I got for 1400 with 127,000 miles on it. It has some technical issues *which googling these problems led me to this fine site*. Ill post some pics up later so you can all marvel at what is a stock xplo ;) This site seems very helpful and I do plan on sticking around and learning as much as I can about this vehicle to get the most use out of it.

This is kinda long so if a mod here thinks I should of just made a new thread, feel free to change this!!!

But anyway, maybe you guys can help me out at first, my 4x4 is screwier then dr. Jekyll. When I bought the car in august of 08, the 4x4 did not work, nothing would come on when I pressed the button, I kept pressing the button over the months just to see if one day god would give me 4x4, over time the light next to the button came on randomly for no reason and would brighten and dim when I pressed it. In the middle of a snow storm when I was praying for some 4x4 I pressed the button, low and behold the light by the button came on and the 4x4 light in my console came on as well.

My question here is, how do I know my 4x4 is working and well my car didn't come with a manual how do I make sure its completely disengaged?

Should I take it somewhere and have the 4x4 just replaced...or what the eff lol The low range button still does not work nothing happens when that is clicked, and to be honest I have no idea what that is good for.

My gas guage doesn't work :(

When Im driving, if I click on my heat while breaking the battery guage drops and the lights dim inside the car, I think that may have to do with a battery wire thats pretty frayed that needs to be re-saudered.

On the passenger side front, there is no bushing so it makes clanking noises when i pull in my driveway, not a big deal but im not sure of the long term effects of this and If i need to fix this right away.

I have put in new spark plugs already, I need to do a new air filter, and I want to put in a KKM intake, ive heard they are good.

I bought and put on some Uniroyal liberator AT tires, I know they are a wal-mart brand but you know, for a college kid working 60 hours at a KFC, They get the job done when im playing in snow ;)

Like I said Ill post some pictures up soon as I can! Thanks for any help and I hope to see you all around on the forums!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, I'm going to try to address the issues you're having one by one.

To see if the 4x4 is working first obviously make sure the 4x4 light is coming on. Then you can make sure that it is engaged by making some turns and if it is engaged you will feel the tires scrubbing as the front and rear axles are trying to turn at the same rate. Only use 4x4 on low traction surfaces though. To disengage 4x4 assuming you have auto hubs just turn off 4x4 and back up about 10 feet to unlock the hubs. To engage low range you need to be stopped in neutral with your foot on the brake. If you're just using 4x4 in the snow IMO you won't need low range but it is an incredible asset offroad. It gives you a very low gear ratio. For more info about the 4x4 see this link.

For the gas gauge it is probably the float in the tank causing the problem. They tend to leak and sink to the bottom showing empty all the time.

For the voltage issue if one of the cables is fraying it should be replaced.

Are you referring to the radius arm bushing? If it is gone then it should be replaced, otherwise it could damage the bracket and may throw off your alignment prematurely wearing your new tires.

The KKM is a good intake. I have it and it was worth it for the nice tone it provides when you step on it.

Good luck.

welcome

Hi and welcome

Welcome, I'm going to try to address the issues you're having one by one.

To see if the 4x4 is working first obviously make sure the 4x4 light is coming on. Then you can make sure that it is engaged by making some turns and if it is engaged you will feel the tires scrubbing as the front and rear axles are trying to turn at the same rate. Only use 4x4 on low traction surfaces though. To disengage 4x4 assuming you have auto hubs just turn off 4x4 and back up about 10 feet to unlock the hubs. To engage low range you need to be stopped in neutral with your foot on the brake. If you're just using 4x4 in the snow IMO you won't need low range but it is an incredible asset offroad. It gives you a very low gear ratio. For more info about the 4x4 see this link.

For the gas gauge it is probably the float in the tank causing the problem. They tend to leak and sink to the bottom showing empty all the time.

For the voltage issue if one of the cables is fraying it should be replaced.

Are you referring to the radius arm bushing? If it is gone then it should be replaced, otherwise it could damage the bracket and may throw off your alignment prematurely wearing your new tires.

The KKM is a good intake. I have it and it was worth it for the nice tone it provides when you step on it.

Good luck.
Thank you very much!!

I cant tell you exactly where it is but ill take a picture tomorrow to show you what I mean, I learned about it in december but I have no money as of now untill march when Ill be done paying off my semester.

Thanks for the information on the low range.

I was considering just jacking up the car so all 4 tires were off the ground to check the 4x4.

And you hit it dead on, my gas guage sits on E, you wouldn't happen to know a quick fix or how much that costs to fix?

No problem. I'm pretty sure that you are referring to the radius arm bushing but a picture will confirm that. If it is this bushing then you should be OK driving it until March. Mine was worn out for a while before I got around to fixing it.

Another way to more thoroughly test the 4x4 and is easier than lifting all 4 tires off the ground is to crawl under the truck with it in 2wd and the front tires off the ground. You should be able to spin the front driveshaft by hand. Then put it in 4x4 and check again and you shouldn't be able to turn the front driveshaft.

Unfortunately there is no quick fix for this, the tank needs to be dropped in order to repair it. If you have the know how you can do it yourself pretty cheaply. You could even repair the float but I would recommend just replacing the whole pump/sending unit if you're going to do all that work. It is a time consuming job though so if you need to take it to a shop it may be a little pricey.

No problem. I'm pretty sure that you are referring to the radius arm bushing but a picture will confirm that. If it is this bushing then you should be OK driving it until March. Mine was worn out for a while before I got around to fixing it.

Another way to more thoroughly test the 4x4 and is easier than lifting all 4 tires off the ground is to crawl under the truck with it in 2wd and the front tires off the ground. You should be able to spin the front driveshaft by hand. Then put it in 4x4 and check again and you shouldn't be able to turn the front driveshaft.

Unfortunately there is no quick fix for this, the tank needs to be dropped in order to repair it. If you have the know how you can do it yourself pretty cheaply. You could even repair the float but I would recommend just replacing the whole pump/sending unit if you're going to do all that work. It is a time consuming job though so if you need to take it to a shop it may be a little pricey.

Ill try the 4x4 check you just mentioned on the next nice day out here thanks alot!!

And to the full pump, basically what you are saying is, its not worth my time and Ill be fine just watching my mileage like I have been doing ;) Thanks so much for the help i thought I found a good site and you have definitely proved helpful!

Well here is my car, the first one is of the bushing im missing, I also found out the one one the driver side is cracked in half and ill probably need to fix that.

n1308241173_30826252_1592.jpg

Im not sure what that is called, not sure if its that radius arm bushing you referred to earlier.

Side3.jpg

Side2.jpg

Booty.jpg

Side.jpg

So Here is my monster, me and a friend are going to be changing the shocks soon as they are rusted to hell, front and back. I am gonna switch out all the wiring and tubes in the engine, already changed the spark plugs, im going to put in a new airfilter before I get the KKM intake, and ive already replaced the ball joints. and new tires as stated before.

I was considering getting an exhaust system.

My ultimate goal is to get it off road ready, maybe new axles, a smaller lift like 2 inches, make sure the 4x4 is working 100%

Audio all I have is a sony xplode head unit and some speakers, no amps or anything yet.

Yep, that's the radius arm bushing. You might as well just replace them both at the same time.

Nice Ex, I like the two tone paint.

Well thank you for your help james I appreciate it alot!

I also found out today I was about to be ripped off, I took my car to a mechanic awhile back about that to see what could be done, he said to change out one it would be almost 350$ dollars.

Took it to a different mechanic today and he said for both it would be 270.

Back