HELP! 31spline 8.8 w/ 4.88 r&p..attempting to install AUSSIE....issues.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! 31spline 8.8 w/ 4.88 r&p..attempting to install AUSSIE....issues....

Fx4wannabe01

Reaction score
City, State
Boring, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger XLT
Hi.

I'm new around here....so i come here since i know ya'll are pretty technical. I pretty much lurk. lol.

I've got a 2001 ranger w/ a 2005 Ranger Fx4 Level 2 rear end...which is exactly the same center chunk as ya'lls explorers have...31spline. The axle comes stock with the Torsen limited slip unit. BUT the thickness of the 4.88 ring gear caused the torsen center block to not be able to slide out, so i ended up putting in an open carrier so now it's open.

SO....perfect platform to install an aussie...since i'm already an open carrier. I go to install the Aussie Locker tonight and can't get the damn center pin out of the carrier in order to install the locker. The ring gear is so thick, that there's clearence issues between it and the pin. They touch approx 1/16"-1/8".

Now...i'm wondering exactly how my gear installer got the center pin in the carrier in the first place?? I'm wondering if he 'loaded' the open diff, then bolted on the ring gear, bolted the carrier in, and slid the axles in. I was there when he installed the open carrier...i was his assistant but didn't pay enought close attention to exactly how he did it. IF that is the case, there's no way to get the aussie installed with 4.88 gears...but i know it's possible since some of ya'll are running the aussie and 4.88's.

What have ya'll done who have 4.88's in their 8.8's...and aussie's...what special trick is needed???

How much grinding of the ring gear teeth are acceptable???

Thanks for any assistance!!

Shane

For me...a thread is not a thread w/o pics...

4.10 w/ torsen:
PB060178-1.jpg

4.88 w/ open:
P1250292.jpg

The no clearence for the pin to slide out...
P1250289.jpg

I WANT TO INSTALL YOU!!!!...
P1250299.jpg

P1250296.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check to see that the gear on the other side hasn't already been ground (side opposite your pic). That pin had to get in there somehow (it cannot be installed in the axle beforehand).

If the other side isn't ground, then it would have to be a notched pin of some type and should be swapped out for a solid one before you put your Aussie in.

Check to see that the gear on the other side hasn't already been ground (side opposite your pic). That pin had to get in there somehow (it cannot be installed in the axle beforehand).

If the other side isn't ground, then it would have to be a notched pin of some type and should be swapped out for a solid one before you put your Aussie in.

No grinding to the ring gear has been done. it's as though it came straight out the Yukon boxes.

I am running the $35 notched crosspin in it already. Are you saying i should be running a stock like solid cross pin with the aussie??

After some looking up...i'm going to try out the die grinder to the ring gear to gain some clearence. I'm dumbfounded by exactly how the center pin was able to slide into the hole in the first place.

Sorry, I should've clarified better, a solid pin cannot be installed before the ring gear on the carrier, but a notched one can.

I do believe the pin still has to come all the way out to put the locker in though, so you'll still have to grind the gear teeth (a Dremel with one of those little cut-off discs works excellent for this). Use a shop vac hose next to where you grind so debris doesn't get all over the gear and in the housing. Then replace it with a solid 7/8" pin.

Yes, a solid pin is much better. Notched ones tend to break, especially when used with lunchbox lockers.

You have to get the carrier out to get the ring gear off the carrier. You have a notched pin so it will be easy, just takes long:

1) Remove the bolt on the carrier that holds the center pin on - careful, these can snap
2) Rotate the center pin so that the notch at the center faces one of the axle shafts
3) Push the facing axle shaft in and remove the C-clip (note its position and where the rubber O-ring is), pull the axle shaft out about 6" to clear the carrier
4) Rotate the pin so it faces the other shaft and do the same
5) Mark each carrier cap bolt and carrier cap -- note its location because these have to go back in the same exact location and orientation (for the caps).
6) Remove the carrier cap bolts and carrier cap
6) Remove the carrier
7) Unbolt the ring gear from the carrier and slide out
8) Remove center pin and install Aussie.

7) Unbolt the ring gear from the carrier and slide out
8) Remove center pin and install Aussie.

BUT.....how am i able to get the c-clips on the axles if i follow your directions? My understanding is that the locker install is mixed in the middle with the c-clip/axle install....

side gears go in, driver side shaft slides in, cclip installed, axle pulled back, two spacers get installed, then the two centers go in, then the passenger shaft gets slid in and cclip installed, then springs go in. goes something like that.

I think i'm going to finally get myself a dead blow and go ahead and pull the carrier out, then do the grinding/cutting. Take a peek at my randy's book to see what they suggest and what they say is 'okay' tolerences to grind/cut. OR....read up and grind while still in the axle. idk. Just frustrating is all. lol.

Hey just to be absolutely sure, give the guys at Aussie a call tomorrow. They are in Rochester, NY -- great guys to deal with.

Back