Help! Centre console ghost

RandomName

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
Hello everyone,

Brand new to the forum here. I have a 2015 limited explorer. I have some weird happenings going on with my temp controls from the touch pad console. After playing around for a while I’ve found that the passenger side will start turning itself down, it will make the tap noise for about 30 seconds then stop. That area of the touch panel is the useless, however I can change things with the touch screen controls. When I can use the touch panel, if I press temp down for the passenger, it will also turn the fan down. It is a wildly intermittent issue and the only thing that stops it (temporarily) is to turn the volume knob.

I’ve been digging online and was told a burnt out bulb could be the cause so I’ve made sure they’re all working, inside and out. I have not checked the fuse panel yet, but I don’t want to go mucking around in there just yet. I’m wondering if anyone else has seen this issue. I’m really hoping to avoid getting the shop to look as it’s likely going to cost a good amount of penny’s to get fixed.

Appreciate any insight, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You won't like the answer. The Capacitive Touch button is failing. You will likely have to scour junkyards/ebay to find a replacement. Due to the failure rate, it can be challenge to find a good replacement (make sure the seller is reputable).

If you use forscan, you can confirm which button is registering the ghost presses. It's not exactly straightforward, but it's not too difficult to take apart the FCIM to cut the trace for that button. A passenger side temp button is pretty easy to live without. That said, it may not be long before the next button fails. For me, it was the fan speed and that was a little harder to live without, especially when using Android Auto.

You were right, I don’t like that at all lol. I just want to be sure though. I have the screen where I can pick between navigation, audio etc. but the lower panel itself is the issue. If we are talking about the same thing, do you know if a replacement with dial controls is an option? I’ve never even really used the lower touch panel as the screen was always more reliable.

You were right, I don’t like that at all lol. I just want to be sure though. I have the screen where I can pick between navigation, audio etc. but the lower panel itself is the issue. If we are talking about the same thing, do you know if a replacement with dial controls is an option? I’ve never even really used the lower touch panel as the screen was always more reliable.
The capacitive touch panel below the screen was replaced with actual buttons on the 2016+ models. I have not heard of any sort of dial option.

Peter

The capacitive touch panel below the screen was replaced with actual buttons on the 2016+ models. I have not heard of any sort of dial option.

Peter
Actual buttons is what I meant.

Peter
I thought the 2012-2015 were only compatible with each other. Has anyone gotten the newer 2016+ FCIM to work on our older explorers?

I thought the 2012-2015 were only compatible with each other. Has anyone gotten the newer 2016+ FCIM to work on our older explorers?
I’d be happy to even go older than 2015 if it means getting rid of the capacitive piece, it was honestly the only part of my explorer I have not loved. I just used the touchscreen as it was always faster anyway. I want buttons. I was thinking dials as it’s what my F150 had.

I’d be happy to even go older than 2015 if it means getting rid of the capacitive piece, it was honestly the only part of my explorer I have not loved. I just used the touchscreen as it was always faster anyway. I want buttons. I was thinking dials as it’s what my F150 had.
2011-2015 were capacitive touch. When I last looked into using the 2016+ FCIM, the connector was different. The one thread I read where someone changed the connector to get it installed, not all of the buttons worked.

You will have to wait for others with more experience, or find the threads where someone updated to the newer FCIM.

I just wanted to point out that the panel changed with the 2016+ models. I wasn't suggesting swapping them since there likely would be some issues as the 2016 uses a different electrical architecture.

Peter

I appreciate everyone’s insight. I’ll dig to see if there is a way to move away from this capacitive pain. At least now I’m chasing less of a ghost!

Thank you!

Back