Help diagnose: Engine switched to accessory mode, lost power with A/C on. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help diagnose: Engine switched to accessory mode, lost power with A/C on.

SmartAZ

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer LTD (301a)
2017 Limited. 78k miles.

Hopped into car after church. Remote start because I live in AZ and it is hot.

Pushed ignition button to go into drive mode. Drove out of parking lot and onto street. As I did so, it shuddered. I pushed gas and it shuddered again. I immediately pulled over.

Upon stopping, car shuddered again. I tried to pull back into parking lot, but had nothing more than idle speed — gas pedal nonresponsive.

Turned off A/C and had normal power and gas. Drove down the street to my house and parked in the garage. Looked in engine to see if belts were frayed or loose. Nothing immediately visible.

Turned on engine, ran fine. Turned on AC and it shuddered again. And repeated the shudder every ten seconds or so until AC was off.

I replaced the spark plugs on Friday because of a slight fluttering in shifting between gears (wanted to make sure it wasn’t spark plugs). Drove about 100 miles on Saturday, with no issues.

Any thoughts on today’s power loss, while AC is on? Compressor failure or something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turning on the A/C will put more of a strain on the electrical system. Have you checked the battery lately? Alternator?

Peter

Looks like it is the A/C compressor. Belt slipping detected, so I got underneath the car last night, and the clutch is seized. No free-spinning. $2000 repair job. Yay.

A little late now but that's why I always go for the ESP if my warranty doesn't cover the length of my lease. You never know if you will need it or not. Good luck.

Peter

A little late now but that's why I always go for the ESP if my warranty doesn't cover the length of my lease. You never know if you will need it or not. Good luck.

Peter
I have done ESP with positive results on another vehicle. I purchased the Explorer with cash, so I knew that it would be on me. Just didn't expect this only six years in....but. Alas. 'Tis my lot and my luck! 🤣😭

Back